Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Eclipse 1 retrofits

Planing to upgrade lighting on a recently purchased Eclipse 1 hood. Read of many available options but looking for advice. The 2 x 13 watt Deluxe Bright Kit (http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm) looks great but will it fit? Also if i get the 32 watt PowerCompact retrofit will i need to worry about co2? Filtration modifications?

I currently have a brackish setup 1.012
10 gal 20"x10"x11"
15 watt powerglo bulb
50 watt heater
2" natural gravel
tetratec ap200 air pump w/ air stone

Java fern
Anubias
1 unknown
some drift wood

spotted puffer
3 feeder guppies

Plan to add several plants and maybe a couple Bumblebee Gobies.

Newbie, so any advice would be great.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

[center:278ae5182b] Welcome to AA, roscoe! [/center:278ae5182b]
I'm not sure about the tank, but I will comment on the bb gobies. They are a brackish water fish. I know people keep them in FW, but that is not their natural habitat. I had three for a while and did not understand their salt needs. Plus, they were quickly out competed for food. I see you have a spotted puffer--is this tank already brackish? I'm not a plant person, but my understanding was plants and salt don't do well together.
Please elaborate on the set-up. I would like to know if there are plants that do well in a BW tank--once I find bb gobies up here, they are getting a species tank at my house!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was told some hardy plants will do alright in a brackish tank. So i grabbed a few. The plants where just recently added to the tank but they seem to be doing fine with a sg at 1.012 and the ph at 7.8. The nitrates tend to get high but i was told once the tank gets established i can lose the Bio-wheel and stop the nitrates. With out the bio-wheel will the plants handle the bio load?

I am thinking about adding co2.

Have you heard of creating co2 using a 2 liter bottle, sugar and yeast? Does it work? Read that on a web page (http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/kelly-intro.html) check it out. What to you think?

I also got some misc aquarium plant bulbs from the LFS.Only 5 of 10 sprouted and do not seem to be doing very well but hope to kick start them with some new lighting.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't keep plants, but I know thekrib.com is referenced here often. For more plant help, post in the Plants forum. Best of luck with a brackish tank with plants! Post pics when it's done--especially if you get the little bb gobies

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eclipse, retrofit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com