Eclipse 12 - Retrofit Light Kit Installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings all.

I'm in the process of setting up a new Eclipse 12 Gallon tank. The Eclipse hood comes with a 13W 5,000K power compact fluorscent bulb. (Not a standard compact fluorescent bulb.)

I'm interested in installing a higher wattage compact fluorescent fixture/bulb in the Eclipse hood. Has anyone done this or know how I can do it without any drilling or cutting of the Eclipse hood?

Thanks,
David

Only thing you'd be able to do would be to buy a retrofit kit. Else I think the 13W bulb is the highest you can go.

Here is a 32 watt powercompact retrofit kit. My guess is that you'll have to gut the hood of everything in it now and then install the newer kit. Which means you'll have to wire the ballast yourself, and screw in the reflectors, and all that stuff.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12775&N=2004+113347

Just to keep everyone updated, I've ordered a Current USA 32 Watt Retrofit kit to install in my Eclipse tank. I will post pics and a review next week, so check back if you're interested.

Thanks for the info, devilishturtles.

OK, I've got my Current USA SunPaq Retrofit Single Power Compact-15"-32 Watt installed in my Eclipse 12 Hood.

It took a little creative drilling to get the reflector to attach to the mounts from the old light, but it worked out well.

It turns out the ballast from this kit is actually a 40watt ballast. I guess Current is cheap and only ships it with a 32 watt bulb. So, I've ordered a 40 watt Dual Daylight CF bulb.

Here's a pic...hopefully!

Attachments

• hood_151.jpg
    hood_151.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 476
Ok, Ok. It isn't much to look at. I just changed the substrate yesterday to Eco-Complete. I'm going to give it a week to stabilize and then put plants back in.

Attachments

• tank2_176.jpg
    tank2_176.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 302
Heh, I was amused by the difference in my bulb sizes. Here is the original 13W, the 32W that came with the retrokit, and the 40W that I have installed now.

Attachments

• bulbs_248.jpg
    bulbs_248.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 254
Back
Top Bottom