Eco complete vs. Flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know this has probably been discussed already but I'm going to ask anyways. I am stuck at which one to get, from what I have found online is they are both equal in their ability to grow plants. The main difference I have found is Flourite requires lots of rinsing prior to use but is easier to plant in. Is this true because I have no problem rinsing the Flourite if it saves me from a headache when I go to plant.
Thanks in advance.

I've used both, and I will say planting was more difficult in the Eco-complete, but that may have been due to me being new at using tweezers to plant. One thing to consider is that flourite is harder on the delicate barbels of fish such as cory cats. Eco-complete isn't ideal for them, but still not as rough.

I just started a tank with flourite and didn't rinse it all that much... just a couple of times, because I wanted to keep the clays and dirt for the plants. Once my tank settled, it was good to go. :) But, again, I don't have corys in my tanks either.

Thanks for the help! I think I will go ahead with the Flourite since I do not plan on having any catfish. Now I just need to make up my mind on color.:confused:

Depends on what you want to do with your decor. I've seen brown and red options for flourite (I'm not sure if there are others.) If you're going for an "Arizona/Grand Canyon" feel to it, the red should be awesome for that. I wanted foresty/dirt stuff, so I went with the brown. You can see pictures in my thread in my signature if you want. :)

I called my lfs to ask about driftwood and they only stock cypress, so the color will probably be whatever looks best with the driftwood. They said Flourite came in black, dark, regular, and red. I am assuming that's regular in your 10g? Love your betta by the way, I am ready to get this tank going so I can get one to.

I called my lfs to ask about driftwood and they only stock cypress, so the color will probably be whatever looks best with the driftwood. They said Flourite came in black, dark, regular, and red. I am assuming that's regular in your 10g? Love your betta by the way, I am ready to get this tank going so I can get one to.

Thanks so much! I have absolutely no idea what color they list it as. LOL It's whatever PetSmart had available, and was brown. LOL :D I think pairing your flourite to you driftwood is a great idea. :) Can't wait to see pictures of your tank and of whichever betta you choose. :)

Can't wait to see pictures of your tank and of whichever betta you choose. :)

Will do.(y) I will start a build thread for this one so you guys can see it step by step and being my first planted tank I will need lots of help.:)

Just want to throw out the idea of using dirt (miracle grow organic potting soil to be exact) underneath whichever substrate you end up choosing. I seriously works wonders for the plants.

Sent from Luca via magic

Just want to throw out the idea of using dirt (miracle grow organic potting soil to be exact) underneath whichever substrate you end up choosing. I seriously works wonders for the plants.

Sent from Luca via magic

Please. Tell me more. :D. Seriously, fixing to scape a tank using black flourite.

Dustin's planted tanks YouTube channel has some helpful videos, but in short here's what I did. I bought a bag of Miracle grow organic potting soil (MGOP, it's easier to say) and put it about and inch deep underneath an inch and a half or so of sand (but other substrates work good too). Then the entire tank must be planted just how you want it and completely plant it as well otherwise there may be to many nutrients in the water and there might be a massive algae breakout. The soil works magic for about 2 years before it starts to loose it's nutrients but the Eco complete/fluorite should help prolong the amount of time the substrate works well for.

Sent from Luca via magic

Very cool, thank you! I was wondering if it was truly that easy.

This is going to be a 10 gallon tank, with about a dozen plants so far. I've got more coming from aquabid, so if I don't get it set up this weekend, there may be even more. :brows:

Now to do the research and see how well a dirted tank does with inverts, as I'm thinking cories and shrimp in this tank.

I wouldn't put corys in a fluorite based tank, as it might be a little rough for their barbels. The substrate is a little sharper than gravel.

Just my two-cents. :)

Sent from my IPhone

55 gallon, 30 gallon, 38 gallon

Their current tank is sand and gravel. For the most part they just dig around in the sand. Was planning on a large sandy area for them in the new tank as well. Especially now that I have part of a bag of black sand to go in as well.

Back
Top Bottom