EcoBio-Block?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone use or know of a product called a EcoBio-Block? I was just looking at stuff on random websites one day when I was bored and I saw a link for it. It sounds like it is really good, especially for some one who may not have time to change the water every week or so. But I'm just wondering if anyone uses it because not every product on the internet is really what it seems and plus they are pretty expensive. Also I was wondering if their was anything I need to consider if I was going to get one.

Here is a link to the site if anyone wants to look for themselves.
Make Aquarium Care EASY with EcoBio-Block Family Products

EcoBio-Block doesn't remove nitrAtes: EcoBio-Block Family Products FAQ
Q: Does EBB remove nitrates?
A: With the nitrification process, nitrates will begin to accumulate. If there are plants in the tank, nitrates will be used by the plants. Vegetation that grows due to light will also use nitrates. Anaerobic microbes in gravel in an established tank will convert nitrates to NO2, a gas, which will evaporate. If there are no plants or gravel and you want to reduce nitrates quickly, you will have to do a partial water change.
And also:
Without live plants, EBB has a limited capacity for absorbing phosphates and other substances. We therefore, recommend using EBB with filters. However, if the build-up is too much, you will have to do a partial water change.
So if you have no live plants, you'll still have to do pwc to lower your nitrAtes.

Quack Quack... Another misleading product joins the ranks. At least they somewhat own up in the FAQ

I saw this post the other day, and I found the following thread which might be interesting to you. So I signed up to let you know.
Eco Bio Block Test.
This forum talk about EBB.

There was an article about it in one of the fish mags too....

Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, October 2008 issue. Last page, article by David Lass.
He did this as a test for the magazine a product review type thing. Anyway he put the block in a tank that he's always had problems with - water was always cloudy. Fish had poor color. It was a...
"150 gallon tank with 12 adult uarus, six adult angels, a number of plecos and upside-down catfish."
He says in the article that after 6 weeks, the water cleared up and the fishes' color improved. He also states that he would recommend this as it does what the manufacturer says it does.

IMO, his tank is way overstocked. It would seem to me that drastically reducing the bio-load would be the better way to deal with any water issues. Also I wonder how you could accurately predict how long one of these things would work for? At some point any pores in the product will become clogged and then what?? It also concerns me that someone who is so well versed in the hobby would not see something wrong if his fish had poor color. Here's the actual wording...
While uarus are not very colorful fish, before using the EBB's they were a sort of muddy brown, with the teardrop marking on either side not very distinct. After six weeks of using the EBB's their color pattern was striking, and the uarus were much more active and vibrant.

I get the impression from this that if you overstock and underclean then this product can help you - at least for awhile. IMO not a good thing to promote!!

I'm going to look for the Freshwater and Marine Aquarium mag and take a look.
Sounds very interesting!
If i can find a product which can reduce my daily load of work, that'll be great.
Thanks for info.

Back
Top Bottom