Ecoxotic E-series full spectrum LED v. Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pair of 36" E-series lights ($559 total) for a while now one of which continues to switch on and off every 5 min due to overheating, while the other only switches on and off maybe once an hour. I'm in the process of returning both for replacements to see if they'll do any better. But whether the replacements fix the problem or not I'm now considering dropping the E-series altogether and going for a pair of Finnex Planted+ 24/7s ($240) instead.

Considering the good reviews the Finnex get it almost seems a no brainer to switch from a potentially problematic model (E-series) to the more dependable Finnex and gain just over $300 bucks back in the switch. Although the E-series came out first this model Finnex now seems to offer all the bells and whistles the Ecoxotic has...remote, customizable lighting schemes, storms with lightning, moon, high, with 24 hr timer, etc. Only difference I can see is my current E-series put out around 55 PAR at a 20" depth (my tank) vs. the Finnex only putting out 45 PAR at the same depth. Although I have a planted tank I don't have that much experience playing around with different lighting schemes and I'm not sure if this reduction in illumination is all that significant.

Would a drop of 10 PAR be a concern for you guys?

Also, if there's something I've missed in looking at these two fixtures please let me know.

What would you guys do?

A drop of 10 PAR for a $300 savings? I would take the drop. Affect plant growth? As long as ferts and CO2 is ample, maybe not as much as you'd think.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom