eekk fish might be dieing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple_rose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a male fighter fish and his not well. he wont eat and he just sits on the bottom of the tank and doesnt move. it looks like he is having problems breathing. I dont know what to do!! :confused:

purple_rose said:
i have a male fighter fish and his not well. he wont eat and he just sits on the bottom of the tank and doesnt move. it looks like he is having problems breathing. I dont know what to do!! :confused:

Water parameters?

purple_rose said:

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAtes)? How long has the tank been set up?

eekk i dont know what water parameters means. my tank has been set up for about 3/4 weeks. he use to swim around all the time now he just hides under the filter :(

eco23 said:
This guide is going to be your best friend for the next few weeks. You're in the middle of a cycle and you need to immediately do a 75% water change, or two back to back 50% changes.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Make sure you are using a dechlorinator (I'd choose Seachem Prime), match the temperatures of the water, and I highly recommend you buy an API master test kit to keep track of your water parameters. It's very important to always know your ammonia level.

i cleaned the tank about 3 days ago. i put water conditioner in it. i do that water test thing and it comes back green saying that the water is fine.

purple_rose said:
i cleaned the tank about 3 days ago. i put water conditioner in it. i do that water test thing and it comes back green saying that the water is fine.

There's a lot more to it than that. What type of test kit are you using? Do you have knowledge of the nitrogen cycle? I really suggest reading over the article I linked to get you some more information about what is happening.

i read the link you posted but dont really understand any of those levels and stuff. im using one of those kits where you put a little bit of water in it and then put 5 drops of this blue stuff in it and it comes back with a colour then i match the colour with the colour on this colour strip.
i really dont know much about all this kinda stuff. feel kinda dumb >.<

purple_rose said:
i read the link you posted but dont really understand any of those levels and stuff. im using one of those kits where you put a little bit of water in it and then put 5 drops of this blue stuff in it and it comes back with a colour then i match the colour with the colour on this colour strip.
i really dont know much about all this kinda stuff. feel kinda dumb >.<

Do you know what the test you have actually tests for? Is it ammonia? pH?

Here's the deal...a tank has to "cycle" to be safe for fish. This basically means growing beneficial bacteria to keep your water free of dangerous toxins. When your fish poop, they excrete ammonia which is very toxic and dangerous. This ammonia builds up and burns the gills of the fish when you don't have this good bacteria which is why he can't breathe in your tank right now. You need to do the major water changes immediately, get a good test kit and try to read over the guide again to try and get a better understanding of the nitrogen cycle.

purple_rose said:
it just says PH

Do a big water change of about 75% as soon as you can. Get yourself a good test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. Remember to use your water conditioner when you change the water. Knowing the pH won't help in this situation.

purple_rose said:
ill change the water right now. thank you for helping!

Good deal. You made a good decision coming here for help :). The members here will be happy to make sure you have the best home for your fish.

i changed the water just then. should i put him in another tank or leave him in the one his already in? his in with goldfish.

purple_rose said:
i changed the water just then. should i put him in another tank or leave him in the one his already in? his in with goldfish.

He's currently with goldfish? Or you have a second tank that has goldfish?

purple_rose said:
yeah his in with goldfish but i have a fish bowl that isnt being used.

A new bowl will cause the same thing to happen...how big is the tank? I would think goldfish and bettas are not compatible, (I guess I could be wrong). Goldfish are very dirty fish who produce a lot of waste and are adding to the problems with your water conditions. For the time being, you're going to need to do very large water changes (I'd say two 50% every day) until you get a liquid test kit that tells you the ammonia, no2 and no3 levels.

Back
Top Bottom