Eels and goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ever since I bought my first fish (a calico goldfish) I have discovered all the things you can't put with goldfish *sigh*

I was thinking about getting a "peacefull" eel. Is this a no no?

Im going to my lfs today and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what kind of fish I can get that won't pester my goldfish. I already tried Balloon Mollies, and that didn't go over too well.

Oh, I have a 29 gal with a calico goldfish, two common goldfish, 7 ghost shrimp, 3 head tail lights, 4 rasboras, two white clouds and a guppy. (I plan to get some more guppys).

What else can I add?

Try this link at the forum at goldfish paridise:

http://www.goldfishparadise.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=8f26333bce469961801a8d55c690dd70

list of compatible tankmate plus fair amount of discussion.

Generally the recommended tankmate for goldfish are:
other goldfish, whitecloud, corys & some loaches.

Your tank is pretty well maxed out with the 2 common + fantail, you might not want to add any more.

OTOH, I am thinking of all goldies or adding other kinds of fish, so would be interested in your experience.

I think I would get....nothing!

Here's why:

(a) 1 fancy goldfish (yes, just one!) can require 20 gallons all by itself. Common goldies can require even more space, since they can get to be 8 to 12 inches long! Goldfish create a ton of waste, and the addition of one little goldie can quickly send your tank from just fine, to overstocked and dangerous.

(b) Common goldfish are cold water fish. Fancies can be kept in near tropical temps, and could be kept in a community tank, but since they require so much space, it isn't always practical. Keeping common goldies in temperatures they are not built to live in can cause health problems for them in the long run.

(c) Goldfish have different dietary needs than tropicals, and there is no way to keep their piggy lil noses out of the other guys foods. This can lead to health problems.

I'd say your tank is on the overstocked side already...time to take extra good care of the fishies you already have, and hold off on any purchases until you've got a much larger tank (one for the goldies, one for the tropicals!)

Liquidphyre....

As for 'peaceful' eels....there ain't no such critter! If you're referring to the 'Spiny Eels' like the tiretrack, spotted or fire eels....they'll gobble up any fish small enough to get in their mouth. Same goes for pretty much any other kind of freshwater 'eel'.

I'm curious as to how the rasboras and head-and-tail light tetras are doing in there with your goldfish. As I'm sure you're aware...goldfish are NOT tropical fish and prefer cooler temperatures than most exotic tropicals. Your rasboras and head-and-tail light tetras prefer higher temperatures than goldfish like. So does your guppy, for that matter.

The white clouds will do just fine at the lower temps that goldies like. Paradise fish will also adapt quite nicely but they'll shred your goldfish into tiny little ribbons so I think Paradise fish are right out! Have you ever considered a snakehead?? They'll make short work of your goldfish and then you can raise the temperature of the tank so the snakehead is happier (LOL....just kidding!)

Im aware of the ammonia problem so I purchased something to keep in my tank that will always keep the ammonia down.

All my fish are doing really well.

Is it possible to put my goldfish in a seperate, smaller aquarium (they are still really small) with out a filter or anything like that? Like they have in cartoons- er, you know what i mean- just a fish bowl and change out the water.

Also, since goldfish are hardy fish... wouldn't it be okay to keep the water temp a little higher? I know that sounds kinda mean, but it never hurts to ask. Another thing I worry about is the tank getting TOO cold for even my goldfish. But like I said, all my fish are doing fine.

Is my calico a fancy goldfish? Hmm, I didn't know that

What are you using to keep the ammonia down? Are you planning on forgoing cycling your tank (growing a biological filter?).

I'm sure there is a way to kinda split the difference in your tank with the needs of the fish. But you are pretty much guaranteeing that you will be shortening the life of ALL the fish in there, and you might be opening the door for some nasty illnesses. Sometimes circumstances just can't be avoided, though, and I think all of us can appreciate it. We're just here to encourage you to act in the best interest in your fish.

Oh, I understand that you are wanting the best for my fish, and so do I!

Im not sure where it all went wrong. I would like grow a biological filter, but all sorts of bad things happened and I needed to do something to fix it short term- if that make sense- and I bought these things that absorb ammonia and ever since I put them in my tank my fish are acting healthier and happier. I will try to cycle my tank again once I know things in my tank are okay.

Please don't put the goldfish in something without filtration. . . Look back at sweetsuvvyb's post, and read it carefully. The different dietary needs mentioned go for both types of fish, tropicals and goldfish (which are not tropical fish). Tropical fish, generally speaking, require a whole lot more protein in their diets than do goldfish. Goldfish don't have true stomachs and feeding too much protein can bind them up in a hurry. That's why supplemental feedings of veggie flakes, zucchini, green peas, etc. are recommending, to keep the goldfish from getting what is commonly referred to as "swim bladder disease," but is actually a major case of constipation and left unchecked, can kill the fish.

Waste is a major issue with goldfish. The amount of space required to keep a goldfish healthy is related to the wasteload the fish produces and this is not proportionate to its length. The amount of waste produced by a fancy goldfish is proportionate to its weight, which increases roughly with the cube of its length. In other words, a 2 inch oranda produces waste equivalent to eight 1 inch orandas.

On the other hand, feeding only goldfish food to the tetras, rasboras, guppy and white clouds will eventually stunt their growth, if not outright starve them. You shouldn't even mix different types of goldfish. Orandas, moors and celestials have limited vision, and don't see as well as their other fancy cousins, ryunkins, veiltails and fantails. This means if you have those mixed, you have stay vigilant to make sure the first don't slowly starve because they get beaten to the dinner table.

All of the above have not got a snowball's chance to compete in a race to the trough with comets, commons and shubunkins, which are much slimmer and swim much faster. The celestials (or telescope eyes), bless their hearts, shouldn't be mixed with any others, and shouldn't have any sharp objects (including the tips of plastic plant leaves) in their tanks that could puncture those globe eyes.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I just cringe when I wander into a mega store and see a couple of small goldfish (any variety) mixed in a tropical tank. I usually stand there until the hapless employee goes to get his/her manager, so I can explain why we just don't do that. It's not right for either species of fish.

lyquidphyre said:
Is it possible to put my goldfish in a seperate, smaller aquarium (they are still really small) with out a filter or anything like that? Like they have in cartoons- er, you know what i mean- just a fish bowl and change out the water.

You can put your goldies in a seperate aquarium, but not a smaller one!

Contrary to what the goldfish bowl people claimed, goldfish will not do well in a bowl. Goldies that lived in a bowl die within weeks or months, while properly cared for, they can live 10 or more years.

Even keeping small goldies in a bowl will require lots (daily or even several times a day) water change, and who have the time for that? Besides, the goldies grow fast, your 2 common will out grow a bowl in a matter of months (if they survive).

I feel so stupid now! I guess I have to learn some how.

My bestfriend is going to let me borrow her 20 gal and I plan to seperate my goldfish from my tropical fish. Thanx for all your imput!

I love my eel...however he loves my fish...really, really, really loves to EAT them! I started off with a nice full tank of clown loaches, cichlids and gouramis. Now I have 2 cichlids and 1 gourami. I now have to buy my eel 2 dozen feeder goldfish each week to suppliment his daily diet of krill. Anyone want an eel? :lol:

I have 1 Oranda and 2 Ryukin's in my 29 gal tank. I also have 2 spotted Cory's in with them. They all get along great. One of the Cory's must think he is a goldfish because he hangs out with them and follows them all over the tank. Temp wise its about 74 degrees and everyone is happy.

Hello I have a red cap oranda and a black moor. I got them from same tank at the pet store. Yet one of them "red cap" got ich 3 days later. I treated the tank than he started staying at the top of tank.

I did 15% water change figured it was to much ich medicine since he is only 1inch long. Now he's just sitting at the bottom. Not eating. Ich looks like it went away but than he had a white fuzzy thing on the back fin. I took him to the top to rub it off. Some fell off than I go out few hours come back to see his tail that had that white peice is now all shreds. He also got black lips the day after I treated tank with ich medicine.

All and all. Is he dying ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405315087.308385.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

His gill is very red, what are your water parameters ? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH ?

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Back
Top Bottom