Eels at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just went to our LFS today and they have 2 eels for sale that they say are snowflake morray eels. Only problen, they don't look like snowflakes. They are a grayish color, the heads are larger than the body (big heads), and the fin down the back is shaped more like humps and not straight. They are about 4 inches long. Trying to look it up online, but no success so far. Any ideas?

1 Bala shark - 5", 1 Red Tail shark - 4", 1 Rainbow shark - 3 1/2", 1 Albino Rainbow shark - 3", 1 Golden Dojo Loach - 8", 1 Dojo loach - 4", 2 Fire Eels - 9" each, 4 Chinese Algae Eaters - 1" each, 1 Bolivian Ram - 1", 6 Glowlight rasboras - 1" each. 55G coming soon.

Sounds like violet gobies. They are brackish water gobies that are often kept in fw tanks. They can also be acclimated and thrive in a full marine tank. They are called by many names. Dragon goby, dragon eel, dragon fish, etc. If this is your fish, it could be that the snowflake eel (there is a brown fw eel called a snowflake moray) was already sold from that tank and they were housing a goby in there instead. Hard to say. Here are some links to ID if it is the goby.

http://mypage.iu.edu/~sholtzma/fish.html
http://www.thejump.net/id/violet-goby.htm

I was just reading on them and it says they are difficult to keep because for feeding, it strains plankton with it's gills for food. How difficult are they to keep?

I have had one for about a year now and he is awesome He only eats shrimp pellets and the extra blood worms that the tiger oscars don't eat. I had one die before but my tank wasn't very old. Around here in Houston you can get them for around $5. Def. something to start a conversation about if somebody looks at your tank!

Back
Top Bottom