egg carrying raspboras and tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have several raspbora hets and von rio tetras. I have noticed in the past few days that a few have somewhat drooping abdomens. The abdomen is distinctly cup shaped and below the equaliteral lines and bottom lines of the fish... almost a protrusion.

I believe these tetras and raspboras may be egg carrying, which is the reason their stomachs seem to be so far below normal.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I correct in my assessment?

I know it's alot to ask, but do you think you can get a picture? In my thinking, if they were carrying, it would not be a few, but maybe only one carrying eggs. Also, I believe rasboras are leaf layers, so see if you observe any cleaning behavior, the fish picking at leaves, mainly the underside.

HTH

I will see what I can do about a picture... the problem is that they move so quickly, it is difficult at best to capture them on film.

I understand. My gut is that if you aren't seeing breeding behavior (sometimes rough action between the fish, cleaning of egg laying areas) then they aren't carrying eggs. Maybe they just ate a little too much.

Sorry to be the bearer or opposing new, just my opinion.

I believe you are correct. And I am relieved. Their stomachs have returned to normal today.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have Von Rios tetras as well and they tend to overeat often. Their abdomens become coneshaped like you described. I didn't want to mention it before because I also have rasboras but have never noticed this in them, so I didn't want to give you wrong info. :) Mine get to the point where they can't swim quite right and I've been worried about a couple of them on more than one occasion because they swell up so much that they look like they could pop. I haven't figured out how to stop this behavior, so if you do....let me know. :D

Sorry they weren't breeding...I know that would have been exciting for you.

Thank you so much for the kind message!

Yep, they are just little piggies. But I am grateful they are healthy. I have plenty of other fish who are breeding regularly, but it would be neat to see these breed, as I have yet to breed anything other than angels, discus, coryadorus, bettas and livebearers. No egg scatterers.

Back
Top Bottom