Egg crates Vs Recycled vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarpetCowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I seen something interesting at HD yesterday while I was shoppin for DIY filter stuff. I seen some recycled vinyl square tile that you put around pools, spa or you doors and such. I was pricing the egg crate for my big tank and the filter unit, and was a little startled at the price of it. Then I seen that and I wondered if those would work instead. The cost of them are 10 bucks for 10 sqft. and it did say 100% pure recycled vinyl. Anyone out there think they will work inside the tank without hurting the fishes? The crates I seen were $11 I think. And that was for a 2X4 sheet. Or 8 sqft and the vinyl would be easier to cut.

Will the vinyl do the same job? is it rigid like the eggcrate? I dont think that 100% vinyl would be bad for fish.
HTH
Your In KY to!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vinyl contains vinyl chloride, a toxic chemical. I would not put anything vinyl in a fish tank, myself.

I'll check into the kind of vinyl it is.. It's just that I seen vinyl hose that said it was good for aquarums. So naturally I thought maybe... just maybe it would work... But no, it's not as ridged as the eggshell. It's more soft. And raised up by spacers. And it's black instead of white... (my tank is going black)

Back
Top Bottom