eggs in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
more snail eggs ima have snails crawling out the wazo do snails only lay in perfect conditions

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Depends on what snail .... The "good" ones you want to breed will of course demand perfect water conditions, but the pest snail (pond, etc) will lay eggs anywhere & everywhere. The only thing that can limit pest snail egg laying is starvation (of the snail ... ie no left over fish food, detritus, etc.)

jsoong said:
Depends on what snail .... The "good" ones you want to breed will of course demand perfect water conditions, but the pest snail (pond, etc) will lay eggs anywhere & everywhere. The only thing that can limit pest snail egg laying is starvation (of the snail ... ie no left over fish food, detritus, etc.)

so in other words it wasnt my black mystery snail i hav baby snails every where there sill translucent and less than a half inch across r they pest or friend?

If their pest get a puffer fish problem solved

I strongly disagree with this advice. Adding fish to 'fix' a problem is not really fixing it. Fix the underlying issue here, which more than likely, is overfeeding.

If you don't want them in your tank, squish the eggs or wait till they are grown a little and just smash them against the glass.

Pretty much any type of snail will keep your glass and plants clean. I have some in my 10g and that tank is always spotless. I wish I could keep some in my 30g but my clown loach always seems to make quick work of them.

Depends on what kind they are... I have ramshorn snails in my 10g and they will not harm my plants. They do keep them very clean and algae free though.

so in other words it wasnt my black mystery snail i hav baby snails every where there sill translucent and less than a half inch across r they pest or friend?

Apple snails (mysteries included) lay eggs above the water. So egg clutches in the water are not from the mystery snail. Besides, apple snails are NOT hermaphroditic. So need a male AND a female to get babies ... if you have just one snail, you don't have mystery babies! <Unless it was a female & already pregnant when you got her.>

And if your black mystery snail is a Japanese trapdoor snail, then she is also not a hermaphrodite, and she is a live bearer - ie no eggs. <lfs label the Japanese trapdoor & apples as "mystery snail" ... they can't tell them apart so it is a mystery what snail you got!>

Back
Top Bottom