Eggs just appeared at the top of the wall of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarahrs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a freshwater tank with a nice amount of fish and one big mystery snail. I had another mystery snail with this one but he died about a month ago. Just this morning a big pouch of eggs appeared on the tank wall where theres no water. The only explanation for that would be my mystery snail layed eggs, but he doesnt have anyone to mate with.
This past week all my fish have been guarding an area by the filter and it seems like my balloon molly layed eggs. Would it make sense that the snail would move the eggs? Or are they somehow his eggs?

Snail eggs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are those snails asexual? Because it hasnt had a mate for over a month.

Just an FYI, Mollies are live bearers so they shouldn't be laying eggs but giving birth to live young. If you Molly is birthing eggs, that's not a good sign of her health. As for the snails not having a mate, they don't reproduce the same as the fish do. They will fertilize the eggs internally then lay them so the fact that your snail lost it's mate over a month ago does not preclude it from being the other parent.
That said, some snails are hermaphrodites, some are asexual breeders and some are self fertilizing species so the eggs are just proof you have a reproductively mature snail in the tank. Hope this helps. (y)

Ya that helps a lot thank you! It could have been one of the other fish laying eggs i just assumed it was the molly cuz she stayed by that area the most. Cool thing to know thanks!

Back
Top Bottom