Eggy's fish and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to know more about those Odessa barbs? That's a species I've been wanting to try. Are they fairly hardy like most barbs? I would be looking to try them with a sev/firemouth combo, wondering if they could hold their own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They do quite well thanks for asking! Lol. Whatcha wanna know? I adore them.

Those are quite obviously holding still, how often do they do that? I was under the impression they're in between albino and peppered/emerald cories in activity level. ?They're so cute!

Those are quite obviously holding still, how often do they do that? I was under the impression they're in between albino and peppered/emerald cories in activity level. ?They're so cute!

Not often, they're like little hummingbirds in the tank. I had to take that shot from pretty far away and as soon as they saw me they were back to flitting around haha

I would like to know more about those Odessa barbs? That's a species I've been wanting to try. Are they fairly hardy like most barbs? I would be looking to try them with a sev/firemouth combo, wondering if they could hold their own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as my experience goes they're pretty hardy, I've never had any illness or death or other issues in the 6ish? Months I've had them. They've also been tolerant of heater issues (cold tank). To be honest with you I haven't don't a ton of behavioral research on them just basic params. They do nibble plants and are always hungry. Definitely need a sizeable group. I can't speak to compatability only because I've only kept them with peaceful bottom dwellers. They're not large like tiger barbs, they're more comparable to a moderately sized tetra (smaller than bleeding hearts, bigger than phantoms) so bigger fish may or may not be an issue but I imagine they can stick up for themselves. The hardest part is finding them.

Those Odessa barbs are gorgeous. You should submit that pic for the December POTM (Theme: Colour Contrast). See post for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're beautiful fish, spastic and voracious but beauts. Tmrc.. they'd do fine with larger fish I'd think.. feeding time would be interesting anyways...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those Odessa barbs are gorgeous. You should submit that pic for the December POTM (Theme: Colour Contrast). See post for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I have to upload in the browser so maybe later ;)

Water changes all around. Some pretty serious cory dances going on. Not that it will amount to anything but hey. I am making some changes to try to trigger so we will see how that goes.
My LFS gal is giving me her store of IAL to have too. She did breed koi bettas for a while but lost her female so she doesn't need them for now.

Sweet! That's a lucky break XD Free IAL is nothing to sneeze at. Too bad about her breeder :(

Yes cool water and fresh IAL always do the trick for my aeneus. The orange lasers have very tannin stained water and they finally bred. You can do it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Problem with IAL or any buffer for that matter is that my water is so hard it resists my attempts to do anything...working on that first haha. I've had tanks practically black with tannins and no spawning ph steady at 8

Problem with IAL or any buffer for that matter is that my water is so hard it resists my attempts to do anything...working on that first haha. I've had tanks practically black with tannins and no spawning ph steady at 8

You need to move to Trumbull... My water in Trumbull CT was so soft that the pH would drop to below 6 overnight after a water change. Had to buffer rather than soften it.

Weird...Trumbull is a little over 20 miles from me. I'm on city sewer but most homes around here use softeners. I guess it's easier to buffer acidic water than alkaline but I digress. The tangs love it anyhow

Weird...Trumbull is a little over 20 miles from me. I'm on city sewer but most homes around here use softeners. I guess it's easier to buffer acidic water than alkaline but I digress. The tangs love it anyhow

Who knows, it could have changed; it's been 4 years since I did any fishkeeping in Trumbull. Up here in the Bangor area of Maine the water is nice and soft.

Some quick flix including the little Shelly who's somehow been hacking it in the big tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450934752.577822.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450934762.543314.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450934772.165434.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450934781.632384.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450934797.323435.jpg

Back
Top Bottom