Eggy's fish and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We shall see.
Got my tds meter today. 380 with no buffers and 280 in my joke of a breeding tank lol

Sooo now we see that pH and such may not be the important numbers...

IMO Eggy you are shooting for 100TDS or so.
Definitely not over 150 IMO until you see good eggs.
Straight ro for 10-25% water changes till you get where you want is what I would do and am in my pisto tanks ...

My tap is 350++ and all fish live but eggs are no good in it!

I don't know what the reading out of the tap is, but it comes out at neutral ph so probably a lot of dissolved co2 and lower tds I assume
Cb I don't have access to RO at the moment. Will DI be sufficient to reduce in the interim?
I've successfully bred cories and hatched out eggs at the current 380 params, albeit they were from many generations of tank bred species. There have been some difficulties hatching which I would attribute to the high tds (firmer shells?) and also propensity to fungus.
How rapidly can I reduce tds safely without running the risk of osmotic shock?

slowly is the best way to lower tds.
You see all the hype on acclimation;temp(which counts) ,ph,gh,kh all just boils down to TDS for fish osmoregulation IMO.
I really can't speak for specific parameters for cories but stated levels I use with my soft water fish for some time without issue.
You mileage my vary, but atleast for the eggs I would try to get lower.
Like I said I keep and sell all my rams in my tap(350+) but breed in 50-100...
Change slowly like 10-25% a day for a week to get where you want.
More smaller changes can happen multiple times daily IMO but will cost you more in water do to dilution and small % of change...
Just pick a target and watch what happens!(How I roll!).
As far as distilled it should be just as good as ro IMO just harder to produce.
I always bought distilled at Walmart before my ro...
Good luck!

IMO the TDS will NOT change like ph over a 24 hour outgassing...
This is why ph is bogus for what you need to get to....

Gotcha thanks cb.
Out of the tap tds is measuring 280
Tang tank is coming out at 380
Most of the other tanks are tipping in around 380-450, seems to be lower in the planted tanks with the exception of the 90g

Prepping for auction. In two hours I've bagged 12 fish and moved 22
Still have to bag 19 and move 17, I'll leave the two empty tanks running for now cause one has baby shrimp and the other is a big breakdown.
Gonna put the spare AC on the 40 breeder because I need to get some more water flow in there. Use the fluval heater in the 40 high then I'll have two spares.
Let's hope I don't bring home too many fish tomorrow. Eyeballing maybe apistos and cories but that's it. The QT will come down when the brochis look ready to move and I'll be down to 9 tanks. If no apistos I might take down the walstad or the 5g. One has to stay up for shrimp or both if I get fish.

Who just scored a 150g tank and stand and commercial air pump for $50?? This gal!

Woah! That a steal!

You are sending it to me right???

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

All hail the Queen of Auctions!!! ??
What a score! Makes up the the big tank that got away a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's pretty amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got a 125 + stand for $30 too...out of control. Although total spending is already just under two hundo but that's all my bf getting goony stuff ;)

Geez! Next thing you know your gonna buy a whole fish store for 100$ ?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Nice. I was happy to grab a complete 29 with the expensive oak stand for $50 yesterday. And I don't trust the tank so I grabbed a 20 long at petco. The stain on the stand was kinda beat so I just finished painting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just stop....you're making us all jealous.

Lol jokes aside those are some amazing deals!! I think I'm gonna move to CT.....

Back
Top Bottom