Eggy's fish and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol Bren

So I really need some advice. When I said the fish on shared filtration at the LFS didn't look so hot, Im pretty sure I saw ich.
Now, I have no idea how susceptible catfish are to ich, I saw no visible spots on the brochis (albeit they came in today). I know it was dumb to get them, but they never come around.
My thought was, treat for ich anyway, then monitor for other issues (flukes, parasites- no idea if these are WC or tank bred).
I don't have ich meds safe for cories at the moment so have to get some.
Otherwise, what do you think is a realistic timeline to assume that ich meds worked? Or should I wait to treat until I'm sure they're carrying it? I don't want to take any chances, they can stay in QT as long as needed. I have only dealt with ich twice before and my cories didn't seem affected, only tetras, so I'm
Not sure if I should pretreat or wait.

You could get the QT. up to 80 and see if that makes ich show a little faster?:ermm:
I would treat for ich myself.
I would use rid ich even if cories were in the tank...
I have used rid ich with cories before without issue...:eek:
1/2 dose day one and full on day 2 if no issues are noted...
Good luck!
Sometimes the best time to get something is when you see it...:facepalm:
I keep telling Mrs.bandit this...:nono:

Salt works with corydoras for ich, have used it before. People say they can't handle it but I read that some common aquarium corys can actually be found in slightly brackish water in the wild.

I pretreat new fish with salt in the majority of cases, so I'd say go for it now.

Thanks guys

Sini how does salt target ich specifically? Just curious how that works...if they can't respirate or reproduce in mild salinity or what

Ich is a freshwater protist, very intolerant of even a tiny amount of salt (much less than most freshwater fish can handle). They don't have the capacity to osmoregulate properly in anything but freshwater. Much like any other ich medication, the freeswimming phase of ich's life cycle dies when there is salt in the water.

In fact, a lot of microbes are at least hindered by salt, that's why I always pretreat with it- cheap, easy to get and effective :)

Just figured I would update everyone on the stock list since we are well into the thread. All of this will get shuffled by the end of January so please don't be upset at some of the less than ideal housing at the moment (pretty much the 35g)
90g: 4x black calvus, 4x eretmodus, 10? Julidochromis regani kipili (6 adults and 4? Fry), 5x boulengeri shellies.
55g: 2x silver dollars, 5x napo tetras (auction), 5x kerri tetras, 3x rasbora vulcanus (auction), 1 farlowella, 1 royal farlowella (going to Gillie)
40 high: 11x Odessa barbs, 11x kuhli loaches, 1 horseface loach, nerites
40b: 3x cryptoheros cutteri (auction), 6x bandit cories, 7x trilineatus cories, 7x skunk cories, 5x hybrid cory culls
35g: 1 angelfish, 3x hatchets, 4x panda garra (auction), 8x zebra loaches (to be moved), 1 tiger loach (to be moved), 1 chameleon loach (auction)
30g: 5 black schwartzi cories, 1 brochis, 14 aspidoras, 8 rusty cories, 1 Delphax (auction), 3x ambiacus (auction), 4x zygatus (auction), 9x pygmaeus, cherry shrimp
20g: 23x boulengeri fry (auction some)
15 high: 5x boraras maculatus, cherry shrimp
15 long: 4x female bettas (auction), nerite, cherry shrimp
10g: 6x multis
10g QT: 6x brochis
5g temp: 5x Habrosus, 2x pygmaeus, nerite, assassins, cherry shrimp, 4x otos

I really don't Theresa lol that's why I have to get rid of some stuff. 12 tanks in a 1000 sqft 1 level condo with 2 people a dog and a cat and heaps of stuff is just ridiculous at this point.
End goal here is a tang tank, cory tank, and a 6' community or maybe 2 55gs and then keep the little ones for grow outs and maybe some apistos or something.

I really don't Theresa lol that's why I have to get rid of some stuff. 12 tanks in a 1000 sqft 1 level condo with 2 people a dog and a cat and heaps of stuff is just ridiculous at this point.
End goal here is a tang tank, cory tank, and a 6' community or maybe 2 55gs and then keep the little ones for grow outs and maybe some apistos or something.

I can relate to that! Years ago we were in an apartment, I had tanks in the living room & kitchen plus the dining area was essentially all tanks. It was ok when it was the the spouse and I but after my 5 kids moved in with us it got a bit crazy :blink: :rolleyes:

Edit: how long have you had the otos in the 5g? I have a similar setup and was thinking about adding 2 or 3, just never kept them in anything smaller than a 10g.

Last edited:
Only two days, I moved them out of the 15g with the boraras into the 5 for a "holding period". I had a few shrimp and Habrosus dying a few months back and I just wanted to monitor until I move them into the 30.
They seem fine, no noticeable behavior difference from the 15 so far.

Only two days, I moved them out of the 15g with the boraras into the 5 for a "holding period". I had a few shrimp and Habrosus dying a few months back and I just wanted to monitor until I move them into the 30.
They seem fine, no noticeable behavior difference from the 15 so far.

Good to know, thanks. I know a few other folks here have them in smaller tanks and I do have backup options in case they don't seem happy.

As long as their diet is taken care of I don't see why a 5 would be a problem long term for a few of them, they stick to the glass anyway. I guess more surface area means more biofilm but they seem content

Do you have a species name or a pic of the rusty cories? That's a name that I'm not familiar with.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry! The rusty cory is the trade name for the rabauti (my favs)

Back
Top Bottom