Eggy's fish and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a chem minor, but buffers still confuse me :lol: It took me ages to feel like I had any sort of grip on KH, GH, pH and TDS and how they fit together.

I'm really starting to like the TDS-centric method. It's not perfect but it seems like the most consistent way to get a certain water quality.

^THIS^
Once I settled on how to remineralise my water all that was left was to see how much of what to get the level I choose.
Now; tablespoon,tablespoon,teaspoon and tds meter and I know I am good and exactly what I have made..
Easy to tweak...
The change in kh,gh,and ph are not anywhere as recognizable as going from 0 to 60 or 150TDS.
I really don't even bother with the standard test on my prepped water any more...

So the last breeding report I read for c. Rabauti said ph was 6.5, gh and kh both 1, no mention of tds
If I wanted to generally replicate that, how could I do it? What would you estimate tds to be in that scenario? Just looking for some examples so I can wrap my head around it.

I remember when my tap was 50ppm.. oh the good ole days.. wc apisto panduro spawning away... now it's like trying to teach a gbr to swan dive (pool water people :( ..)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I have no method of doing that either. Just ordered a tds meter. Doing some reading up now.
If I were to use peat in lieu of RO/DI would I have to prep water in advance or can I incorporate that into my filter? I'll have a spare aquaclear soon so theoretically I could run one solely with peat. Just curious.

Yeaaahhh join us! Peat won't do much unless your water is already soft.... Unless maybe you prepared water and used like 10 pounds of peat? Hmmmm.....

Haha Poppa
In all seriousness, I try to do as much research as I can before bugging you guys...not a single article I came across with regards to cory breeding in all this time has pointed me toward tds (or I just misinterpreted or the writer would assume people know this)...the more I'm reading the more important and basic this stuff is. With all of the RO/DI and buffer stuff I never really understood the ultimate purpose why other than "more acidic water" and "lower ph".
I really appreciate all of you contributing to my thread and helping me out, your experience and advice is invaluable to me. I want to do the best I can for my wet pets and contribute to others experiences as well. I know we are online mystery people but you guys are my pals and it's awesome. Thank you all :)

Im not a mystery.... Just a guy with a fish tank hobby.... Er problem. Yet to be decided.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha great pics guys! Thanks for sharing...I'm always surprised at what people look like I'm a horrible guesser. Never meant anyone was a creep lol...just glad to call you guys my friends even if we only meet on AA. I actually talk to all of you more than my real life friends haha. And it's usually way more interesting.
Here's what I do all day:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452641044.119072.jpg

Haha great pics guys! Thanks for sharing...I'm always surprised at what people look like I'm a horrible guesser. Never meant anyone was a creep lol...just glad to call you guys my friends even if we only meet on AA. I actually talk to all of you more than my real life friends haha. And it's usually way more interesting.
Here's what I do all day:
View attachment 283540

Nose prints. All I can think of is nose prints.
I prefer to hide. Fish act differently when I'm in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey gillie how you doing btw?

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

A little stiff, but still alive and thankfully not as stoned anymore, I hate pain meds.

Nose prints. All I can think of is nose prints.
I prefer to hide. Fish act differently when I'm in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah the pic bothered me a bit, I usually freak out over water spots and if I find a fingerprint that's not mine, the world is ending lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom