Eheim 2215 Classic - new $100 - good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Eheim 2215 Classic
*Includes media
*NEW Extra O-ring
*UNUSED box of 3 fine filter pads
*UNUSED box of 2 coarse filter pads
for $100 + shipping.

Is this a good deal? It would go on a 46g bowfront.

no, I found it for sale and was wondering if it was a good buy or not.

Thanks. now I can't find it, but found another used for 2 months with all the original stuff and box for $68 + shipping. Might consider this... Is it a good filter? Looking at the picture it doesn't look at all special...???? But I have heard that Eheim is a good brand..

From what I've gathered, Eheims are a pain to clean, but usually run w/out problems for years. The actual flow rate tends to be about half of the volume/hour they claim, so don't go with one rated just big enough for the tank. For the money, Fluvals are a better deal, and easier to maintain, but the quality of the materials is less. Sort of like a Mercedes and a Chevy. The Mercedes costs more, but runs longer with less trouble. The Chevy is cheaper, needs more parts replaced over time, but they're easily available.
You can build a canister filter much cheaper than either brand, using a 5 gallon bucket, a powerhead, and a few things from the hardware store. I've seen several DIY projects on various forums, and plan to do something similar if/when I set up multiple tanks with a central filtration system.

If you remembver the sites where you saw the DIY could you let me know. I'd be interested in checking that out.
Okay, so the 2215 says it's can go for a 90 something tank... I have a 46. So are you saying it is just barely big enough for my tank? Currently it runs a AC70 with an undergravel filter and a powerhead to move water around. I also have a sponge on the intake for extra critter growth room. It's just a little too noisy if the water gets low.. It's starting to bother my husband... well, the combination of all the tanks bubbling and whooshing and such is bothering him.... I don't much mind it during the day, but sometimes need to close the bedroom door so I don't hear it at night. some of them are noisy even when the water is up. Any other suggestions?

The only thing difficult about cleaning an Eheim Classic is the fact that the media is not in compartments. Even so, it takes me all of 5-10 minutes to remove the media, rinse/replace the pads, rinse the canister, and put everything back together. If you have double-tap connectors, getting it primed is a snap as well. I have a 2213 and a 2217, both with double-taps. The spray bars are both pointing down to eliminate any surface noise. I get water movement from my AC powerheads. Filtration is excellent and extremely quiet too.

Thanks. Wish I could read it as well. They both did a good job with the photos. Tells the story pretty well. If you ever build one, let me know how it works.
maxwell1295 - thanks, good information.

Back
Top Bottom