Eheim Heater - Same price, 250w or 300w?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

So I'm hardware shopping right now for the 72 gallon bow front tank I'll be starting up in a year or two. The previous owner I bought it from included a hydor submersible heater, although I can't remember if it's 200w or 250w and I haven't tested it either... The tank is at my grandma's house for storage purposes, so I can't quite check on it right now.

I'm used to houses being on the colder side (my parents keep the house a little colder and tell everyone to put on sweaters), so I've been used to buying heaters with a little more power to account for the ambient temperature difference. That being said, the 250w and 300w Eheim jager heaters are both $26 and some change, which is a great steal!!

But, I'm not sure which size I should get. I understand having two heaters is better in case one fails, etc. so I'm working on the assumption that the hydor is functional, but I also don't want to accidentally fry my tank. What do you guys think??

Eheim is a trustworthy brand, so I don't think they'll fry the fish...(however it could still happen, but I highly doubt it!)

I'd go for a 300w if it's the same price....

with a room temp between 68-72 a 250 watt heater should be able to raise a 75 g tank 15 degrees above room temperature.
This is taken from the aqueon Pro users guide...
Not all heaters are the same...

Some say larger heaters work faster causing more on and off cycles then properly sized heaters...

I thought the bigger heaters have less fluctuations, and would be better....

Although you do have a point, I wonder if that could affect the heaters.

Back
Top Bottom