Either my platy is growing slowly, or he stopped growing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS gave me a platy fry for free when I was starting up my new 2g tank that also was going to house 2 ADFs. Long story short, I hit a learning curve and realized I needed to properly cycle my tank. I exchanged the 2g for a 10g and began a fish-in cycle. The platy and frogs survived a successful cycling that took a LONG time. When I got him in February, he was smaller than a pinky nail. Now that it's been about 5 months, he's a inch. I bought an adult platy, and realized how small he was in comparison. I would've thought he would be full size by now. Any ideas as to what happened? I haven't seen a notable growth in him for a while now.

Sounds like the little platy has had a rough road to this point. Compare your little platy' s body proportions to the adult platy. If the little platy s symmetry is similar then he probably is not stunted and will undoubtedly progress.
If you notice that the little platy s eyes look too big for its size and the fins are short in proportion then the fish is probably stunted. Not good.

Don't worry, as long as he is eating things will likely be fine.

Sounds like the little platy has had a rough road to this point. Compare your little platy' s body proportions to the adult platy. If the little platy s symmetry is similar then he probably is not stunted and will undoubtedly progress.

If you notice that the little platy s eyes look too big for its size and the fins are short in proportion then the fish is probably stunted. Not good.

Don't worry, as long as he is eating things will likely be fine.

IMG_1261.jpg
Here is a photo, I think his symmetry looks pretty good. Thank you! I hope he continues to be healthy

Back
Top Bottom