Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

El Cheapo Lights

Hello Aqua People,

I was searching for light deals on the web and came across many hydroponic sites. The first thing I noticed was how much cheaper the lights were. The first thing I considered was corrosion and rust.....

Has anyone used T5 units or the like for their tank....with any success?

Thanks,
craig

Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

less Expensive Tank Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyched102 View Post
Hello Aqua People,

I was searching for light deals on the web and came across many hydroponic sites. The first thing I noticed was how much cheaper the lights were. The first thing I considered was corrosion and rust.....

Has anyone used T5 units or the like for their tank....with any success?

Thanks,
craig

Hello psych...

The hydroponics lights are compact florescent lights (cfl). They're shorter, but put out quite a high wattage. They're not as inexpensive as GE Aquarium Plant bulbs, from the hardware store. If you're just into the darker green aquarium plants, then the full length florescents are the way to go. A couple of them are plenty for plants that require lower or subdued lighting.

B

Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I don't do planted tanks, but I used these hydroponic T5 fixtures for salt water applications. The corrosion issue is the same with any aquatic fixture, as they aren't water proof either. The difference is the size of the fixture. The hydro units have much larger reflectors and the lamps are spaced out wider than aquarium fixtures. The lamps are the same size. T5 HO are T5 HO.

Tags
cheap, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com