El Cheapo Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psyched102

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Aqua People,

I was searching for light deals on the web and came across many hydroponic sites. The first thing I noticed was how much cheaper the lights were. The first thing I considered was corrosion and rust.....

Has anyone used T5 units or the like for their tank....with any success?

Thanks,
craig

less Expensive Tank Lighting

Hello Aqua People,

I was searching for light deals on the web and came across many hydroponic sites. The first thing I noticed was how much cheaper the lights were. The first thing I considered was corrosion and rust.....

Has anyone used T5 units or the like for their tank....with any success?

Thanks,
craig

Hello psych...

The hydroponics lights are compact florescent lights (cfl). They're shorter, but put out quite a high wattage. They're not as inexpensive as GE Aquarium Plant bulbs, from the hardware store. If you're just into the darker green aquarium plants, then the full length florescents are the way to go. A couple of them are plenty for plants that require lower or subdued lighting.

B

I don't do planted tanks, but I used these hydroponic T5 fixtures for salt water applications. The corrosion issue is the same with any aquatic fixture, as they aren't water proof either. The difference is the size of the fixture. The hydro units have much larger reflectors and the lamps are spaced out wider than aquarium fixtures. The lamps are the same size. T5 HO are T5 HO.

Back
Top Bottom