Electric Blue Ram Gender ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just purchased an electric blue ram, Im curious to know what the gender is. How do you tell a male and female apart?

Here's a pic

image-3184766466.jpg

Tell me if you need a better pic from a different angle. :)

Please help!!

Please help :) I'm very curious to know its gender :)

Here's a few more. Can you tell now?

image-1068462013.jpg

image-1376952458.jpg

image-2475034331.jpg

Attachments

• image-3011485650.jpg
    image-3011485650.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 115
I just got two more fairly clear pictures where the lol guy is nicely colored, are you for sure my EBR is a female? :)

image-99810530.jpg

image-1008082690.jpg

I just got two more fairly clear pictures where the lol guy is nicely colored, are you for sure my EBR is a female? :)

Whoa.....that's a way better pic. I'm gonna change my stance to male on this one. The other pics had the fins more pressed back and I guess made it hard to tell. From this view I have to go with make. Sorry for the confusion. That is a male EBR.
I have three!

Attachments

• image-2572367783.jpg
    image-2572367783.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 97
Okay, cool! So is it normal for my female GBR to chase this male EBR? I've just noticed some aggression between all 3 of my rams as I've been watching them for the past hour.

I have :
1 female GBR
1 male GBR
1 male EBR

I wanted the GBR's to spawn but they aren't very friendly towards each other and the male always chases the female. They seem like they don't like each other.

Also my male GBR is more brightly colored than the female.

The male EBR just gets chased by both, and he hasn't chased them back.

I'm concerned, is this normal behavior?!

GBR tend to chase the women! Nothing to worry about. The EBR being chased is though. Rehome?

I just got the EBR today and don't wanna rehome. I bought him from Petco for a pretty penny! Hopefully they can get along, if I got the EBR a mate, would that help with things? That was my original plan.

The male GBR chases almost everyone in the tank the same way except for my betta. Not sure why he doesn't chase him.

Is it normal for my male GBR to be better colored than the female? And should the two be hanging out? They don't do It very often. I think the boy intimidates the female.

Males in many/most cichlid species are typically brighter and larger than females.
What size tank are they in. If your tank is long enough they will find their own little territories. That should cut down on the aggression.

Males in many/most cichlid species are typically brighter and larger than females.

That's a relief! I thought maybe the female was sick or something since she wasn't as bright as the male.

What's your opinion about the aggression issues ?

That's a relief! I thought maybe the female was sick or something since she wasn't as bright as the male.

What's your opinion about the aggression issues ?

Sorry. You responded before I finished editing my post. Check last post.

Whoops my bad. I saw it.

The 3 are in a 26 gallon bow front. Plenty of hiding spaces. It's more high than long though.

If you were able to do a 3-4" tank it would work out real well. You could get another female or two.

Back
Top Bottom