Electric blue rams..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afn_Black

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two electric blue rams, male and female but they havent paired and the female really bullys the male but only after i moved my decor around the tank? Its been going on for about 2-3 weeks now? Any advice please

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your "female is probably your "male" and vise versa. The male will keep harassing her to death, probably because she keeps invading his territory. Rearrange everything completely, and see if it gets better, if not then I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

Nils

When tank ornaments are moved around, the fish in the tank will explore their new environment and establish new territories (in the case of more aggressive fish). The female could've taken the whole area as her own so she didn't want the male in it but now that you moved stuff around thy could've both got their own territories. As to why they're not mating I don't know.

Shes definitely the female and think youre right, i think she might have clamed the whole tank, as he seems to hiding in the corners. She especially bullys him at feeding. Any other solutions apart from rearranging decor again? Will they eventually come to terms or not?

How big is the tank? How old are the fish? Can you get pictures? Is one much bigger than the other? Are they even old enough to mate? What are your water parameters?
Female rams can indeed be pretty feisty. They may or may not work it out, depends. You can try putting in a divider temporarily, or removing her temporarily.

Ive been having some issues with the rams as well. I have 1 female GBR who is notorious for being a bully. I started her with another female GBR, but she kept chasing her until she died. Then I got 2 Bolivian rams and that was a hot mess. The little GBR chases the bolivians all day and one bolivian chases the other. I separated the bolivians, and today I am taking the GBR to be rehomed as its disturbing my entire tank. Sad, she is very colorful, but not very nice at all.

The female is a lot smaller even though shes the bully? Dont understand? Ill get some pictures soon and also theyre not old enough to mate, but thats not my main concern atm. Ive kept gbrs in the past and that worked great, think it depends on the personality of the fish i guess

You can clearly see the male is stressed out, because of the colour of his head, it should be a bright orange like the female

I just got one yesterday. Actually rehomed three fish just for this gamble. Beautiful fish but are they jittery little swimmers. I know its only been a day but he seems comfortable but his movements seem very fidgety. Yours like this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, you have a nice big tank with plenty of space. My best guess is that your fish is just kind of a bully.
Sometimes when 1 fish is getting bigger and hits fishy puberty first, it will get overly territorial because it has mating on the mind and the other fish isn't seen as a potential mate since it is too young. Thus, the older fish will bully the younger fish trying to get it out of the way so better mating candidate can come along.
At this point, I would suggest separating them. That does does look like it might be stressed, and gbr (especially the electric blue) are not a very hardy fish in most cases. You can't just tell fish to get along, and these guys clearly have enough space to avoid each other if they wished. You can wait it out and see what happens, but that might not end well for the stressed fish. Of course, you are the one looking at them everyday to know how bad the situation is.

Id take the aggressive one back or rehome it. No sense letting it bully other fish, which leads to disease, stress, and death. I got no time for aggression in my tanks.

Thanks guys, the bully seems to have calmed down at bit since i added to new angels. Hopefully things stay good. My idea was, that one of the angels will become the boss of the tank, seems like its worked so far, everyone seems a lot happier. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom