Electrical safety question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bytal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wasn't sure which part of the forum to post this in but this seemed like a good enough spot. I was wanting to upgrade to a larger tank and where I have my current tank is next to a light switch. If I go to a larger tank it would be infront of the switch. Does anyone know how much of an safety issue this would pose as far as spills may be concerned?

Like a switch high on the wall? Or at least at chest height? I dont think there would be any concern. My tank sits below a switch and above an outlet. you should be fine.

I am not sure where you live but wires (in most places) are required to be off the ground. So as long as your tank doesn't explode, you should be fine. I even had a tank explode above an outlet and there were no electrical problems. Carpet was another thing.

Well its about your average height for a light switch to be mounted on the wall. I figured light switches were probably decently water resistant and I'd have to spill a lot of water directly on it to cause any sort of problem but I couldn't find any mention of the internet, just to use drip loops with electrical outlets. That means I can go ahead and start hunting for a new tank then.

Actually, I wouldn't consider light switches to be water resistant at all.

If your tank is going to block the switch such that you can't use the switch, I'd remove the switch and put a blank cover plate (with no hole in it) over the box. Better safe than fried.

Any chance you could just move the tank over a bit and uncover the switch? I wouldn't worry about the switch unless you're slopping water on it. Even then, it's supposed to trip your circuit breakers.

I don't think it's an issue if whatever device that is operated by that switch is on a GFCI...

If you are sloppy enough to get water inside the light switch, you have bigger problems than concern about the switch. Fresh water is a very poor conductor of electricity. As an example, I dropped a 2 foot flourescent fixture into a tank (twice) and the light stayed on while the fixture was submerged, and no fish were harmed.

Back
Top Bottom