Elephant nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mariner 1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought an elephant nose, introduced to my tank, swam round for 2-3 mins and just turned turtle and sank to bottom, think I may of lost it . Shop said it should do well in my tank but .......why is it more sensitive :(

Just bought an elephant nose, introduced to my tank, swam round for 2-3 mins and just turned turtle and sank to bottom, think I may of lost it . Shop said it should do well in my tank but .......why is it more sensitive :(

Sorry to hear about your loss! I'd take it back to the store for sure! I saw them the other day, very neat critters!

Welcome to AA! :)

Elephant nose are very sensitive to water parameters and have specialized needs. No matter what your LFS tells you, you are always going to be better off skipping the impulse purchase and researching each fish independently before purchase.

For a elephant nose I'd drip method when introducing since they are sensitive to water parameters.
I bought one a while back. It lasted a month or two and died. Isn't very active during the day and likes to hide. I stayed up one night til 3 in the morning in the dark with a flash light to watch it swim around. They are also hard to feed.

At least it died fast...get a replacement.

+1^ and +1^^

What size tank do you have, and what are water conditions/lighting/filtration/and substrate? Are there enough hiding places? As far as from I know and IME they prefer tanks with the most base area possible, musty/glim lighting(as if in rainforest with many plants blocking sunlight into water), lots of hiding places, lower pH, and peaceful tankmates........soft substrate too

:welcome: to AA! :)

I dunno much about elephant noses other than that they have some unique features that need/require a specific setup and are especially sensitive.

What size tank? What other fish? What is the water change schedule? How did you acclimate it? What is your concentration of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Are you testing with strips or a liquid test kit? Did you change any filter cartridges or wash any in tap water?

Back
Top Bottom