Elephant nose escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwayne400

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Picked up a new 5" elephant nose for my 55 gal yesterday. Put him in the empty (except for plants) 10 gal quarantine tank. All is well... Go to check on him an hour later and he has jumped. The only opening is where the hob goes in. He went up and over the filter. He was dry, stiff and curled. I picked him up and his gills were barely moving so I put him back in the water and held him in the water stream to get oxygen across those gills. After about thirty minutes he was back swimming around like nothing was wrong.

This morning he is still swimming but I noticed the side of his head was all white. I've put in stress coat and melafix. Anything else (other than covering the hole) that I should do?

It sounds like you have done all you can. Just keep an eye on him. That is really great that you could revive him. One of my fish jumped once when I had my tank in the kitchen. He jumped out onto the floor, and I didn't see him. Yes, I stepped on him. I felt so bad.

Meredith, that story is gross, sad, and (in an evil sort of way) very funny at the same time.

I'm sorry for your loss. I think. :roll:

I don't know of many thing in this world that send me into hysteria more than a fish jumped-out of my tank.

Glad you could recover it at least. I'm not experienced enough to give advice, but here's wishing you the best.

Back
Top Bottom