Elephant Nose in 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wafflefry1110

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really like elephant nose fish for freshwater and was wondering how big it would get in a 10 gallon tank (if that's even possible!) Thanks:fish1:

Welcome to the forum.

This species requires 50 gallon minimum as a juvenile, then 75 as an adult. Sorry.

Yes good job!!! Most people get the fish then do research. But I believe 3 Panda Cories could fit in your 10 gallon tank. See if you like those :)

If you do like them id get 4. They're schooling fish and could get stressed without a school. 3 seems too little to me, 4 would be better.

heyheyitsrae said:
If you do like them id get 4. They're schooling fish and could get stressed without a school. 3 seems too little to me, 4 would be better.

Yes, but I would worry about floor space. You could do 6 Pygmy Cories though.

I would go with the pygmy cories. Pandas are hardy but if they due prematurlly, that's a lot of money not well spent.

Elephant nose are so cool but unfortunately they get way too big for a 10 gallon. Over 6 inches. They would get stunted in a tank that size

And yes congrats on THINKING before ACTING unlike many of the other fish keepers out there

I note you've already started thinking about alternative stocking plans. I don't mean to raid your ideas but I've come up with a few (I myself have a 10 gallon)

Ok well this is what I have

3 platys, 1 guppy, 6 neon tetra, 4 ghost shrimp, 1 mystery snail.

Although it seems overcrowded, you have to keep in mind that ghost shrimp have almost no bioload on the tank. If you decide to get small fish, I always recommend adding a few ghost shrimp as well as they make a good clean up crew.

Other options like getting a centerpiece fish:

1 Betta, 6 neon tetra, 1 mystery snail, 4 ghost shrimp

1 dwarf gourami, 6 Pygmy corydoras, 1 mystery snail

2 honey gourami in a species only tank

Sorry if I went overboard I hope you like these as well.!

Back
Top Bottom