Elephant Nose keepers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnmc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m thinking about adding an elephant nose to a new 75G tank. The only fish committed to the tank are 3 Clown Loaches which need larger quarters. Aside from basic profiles, there isn’t too much Elephant Nose info on the net. For Elephant Nose keepers out there, I ask for your experiences about which tank mates have/haven’t worked for you, how well they compete for food, and any other insights you may have.

Cheers,
John

John....

The 'elephant nose' you're probably referring to is Gnathonemus petersi which is the most commonly available of the Mormyrids.

I've kept a few varieties of Mormyrids over the years and have a few observations you might find helpful:

1) Mormyrids in general have very poor eyesight and cannot compete for food with more energetic tank-mates. They are 'weakly electric' fish that are able to locate food items by disturbances in the electric field they generate. They also are very good at locating food items on the bottom with their 'trunk' (which is actually an extension of their lower lip). I've found that most Mormyrids really like bloodworms.

2) Mormyrids get along reasonably well with most fish that aren't overly aggressive. Exceptions include other types of Mormyrids and most of the other 'weakly electric' fish like South American Gymnotid 'knife fish'. An elephant nose should get along very well with your Clown Loaches.

3) Mormyrids are primarily nocturnal and don't like bright aquarium lighting. Give them adequate hiding places.

Hope this helps a little...

-Joe

do they stay relativly on the bottom of the tank or do they swim on all levels?

Bloodworms, blackworms, small earthworms....elephantnoses love them all.

They do tend to stay in the bottom 1/3 of the tank typically, but will roam a bit at night.

Back
Top Bottom