Elusive Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok simple question so i hope there is a simple answer .... how do you catch a very fast zebra danio in a 29gal planted tank .... i just have to catch one ... anyone know? TIA

Ray

your best (and maybe only chance) to catch the fish is to lower the water significantly, giving him less room, or a less messy but more expensive way is to buy a tank divider, and move it along the tank, giving the fish less and less room to maneuver, then scoop him with a net

i dont know the cost of a 55 gal divider, there a bit pricey for a mesh screen, but it beats draining 50 gallons

Another idea is a very large net, lol. Harder to escape a much wider net that is coming at them. But this can be limited to the obstacles in the tank as well.

LOL. Before you do anything drastic like draining 50 gallons, try getting a large freezer bag and poking a few holes in it so water can get thru, similair to a net, Then put the bag in the water about three inches deep. Then feed the danios with the other. When they run to the surface to grab the food (mine will practically jump out of hte water to be the first one to the food). Just scoop him (or them) up. If you get more than just the one you want, you can just put the others back. Much easier than nabbing just one of hte little fellas.

Yes, put a net horizontal to the surface, a few inches down. Feed and scoop. I just caught 13 of them today in my 55; but not planted!

Yeah it works really well, in my experience using the freezer bag works well for catching fish halfway down the tank. For whatever reason they tend to see your hands and miss the bag and just kinda swim into it. Either works though ^^.

Two nets - one big, one small.

Remove large rocks and driftwood that the fish may use for cover.
Use the smaller net (or your arm or a stick) to flush the fish out of any hiding places, and corral it toward the big net. Be ready to pull out the big net as soon as the fish enters it.

Back
Top Bottom