Ember tetras chase each other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a school of 10 embers tetras in with my male Betta fish in a 10 gallon. They are super active and all over the tank. The Betta seems to be doing what he normally does, sleeping at the bottom or top of the tank and swimming the tank slowly. I’ve noticed the ember tetras chase each other a little. I thought they were a very peaceful and non nippy group of tetras? Is this territorial or do they play? I’m hoping they won’t get territorial with my Betta, or will they only do it within themselves?

Ok, they kind of swim around him, the Pygmy Cory’s might of been better because they stay at the bottom and wouldn’t be as much in his swimming space.

As long as they’re not nipping him you’re fine. Lots of tetras chase and play within a school.

They do that.

Yeah, I've kept emperor tetras twice. They are a lot like tiger barbs. There's a pecking order and the top dog (usually a male) will harass the others. Apparently, they shouldn't go after other fish unless the school is smaller (below 6?).

Still, they are gorgeous fish. Good luck.

What I’ve sewn is they’re leaving the Betta alone and he justvswims right through them like they’re not even there! It’s not that bad they will just chase for a second.

Wait are they ember or emperor tetra? Different fish, one of which is indeed prone to nipping and may eventually give your betta some trouble

They’re the peaceful fire red/orange ember tetras. It’s been a little over a week and they’re doing fine with my Betta. I don’t see them chase each other as often anymore, they just have figured out their order.

Oops!

Lol - I misread that! Okay, yeah, ember and emperor are different.
Sorry! :facepalm:
(Never had embers, but so pretty and cute!)

Back
Top Bottom