Ember tetras nip betta help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’ve had 9 ember tetras in a 10 gallon tank for months now with a betta. I’ve been noticing my bettas fins are very frayed. At first I thought it was the driftwood, then the coconut cave, ext So I took it all out. Today I noticed for the first time that the embers nipped my bettas fins like 3-4 times but at feeding time. II was so upset I was going to take them back to the store, but I can’t catch them at all, impossible. I tried for 30 minutes and I couldn’t get them. So I’m trying to get a black water effect To reduce stress and darken it up a bit, I have cattapa bark and almond leaf to do this I also have hornwort plant coming in the mail to really add greenery and hiding places in addition to the low tech lights I do have. Do you think feeding the embers twice a day instead of once can reduce their nipping around feeding? The betta gets the food too so that why I only have been feeding once, but I can reduce it and feed more often. Getting another tank is not an option right now, any other suggestions? I really don’t want my lovely betta to suffer and be picked on, but I’ve never seen them do it and when I did it was around feeding time, his fins show that it’s been happening enough to fray them though.

Don't think the nipping will stop even with the double feedings some species of Tetra just like to nip flowing fins of fish such as a Betta.

Ember tetras are not supposed to be fun nippers! Maybe I’ll try to catch them again

Try to catch them at feeding time. They can get distracted by the food and make it easier to catch them. Or try catching them when you do a water change- less water in the tank might make it easier to get them.

Ok so it took me an hour but I caught all 9 of them and gave them to a fish store. I feel bad and nah have given one a heart attack, he was one of the last ones that I caught and he was just laying on the sand, I hope he recovers. How long should it take my betta fins to recover? They’re in pretty bad shape poor guy, all this time I had no idea what was causing it and kept removing things from the tank like driftwood, coconut cave, ext. now all he has in there is plants and a mesh wall that’s filling in with java moss. How long do I don almond leaves take to release tannins? Input some in yesterday and I don’t see any tannins yet, hoping this heals him quickly.

Back
Top Bottom