Emergency!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heatherhribal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Freshwater 55g 2 gourami 2 angel 2 molly and 2 kuhli loaches. My heater must have malfunctioned. Or water got below where it should be on the heater. I usually keep it at 79. I got home tonight and went to do water tests. Water felt HOT! It was at least 89. I'm doing a water change. Can the decrease in temp be too rapid? Should I only change a little? Or big water change???

I'm doing 20% pwc. I'm afraid to change more and decrease temp too quick. All fish are active. Ammo was < .25 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.

What's the current temp? PWCs will help to lower it, just don't do them too often. If the heater is still on unplug it and monitor the tank temp, then turn back on and closely watch

Take any change in temp as slow as possible. 1 degree every 15 minutes is a good rate. I would just turn the heat down rather than doing water changes for reducing it.

Take any change in temp as slow as possible. 1 degree every 15 minutes is a good rate. I would just turn the heat down rather than doing water changes for reducing it.
correct, an instant shock in temp will do way more harm than good. Just slowly lower it. Also think of it this way, any ich you may have had in your tank is dead now! Lol

I'm not replacing with really cold water. Just cooler. I panicked. And I only took out about 8 gallons. I'll leave the heater unplugged. I'm glad they didn't get electrocuted!

Thank you guys!

I only took out about 8 gallons. And replaced with cooler water. Not cold. I panicked! I'm glad they didn't get electrocuted! I'll unplug the heater for now.

Would the high temp have affected the water tests?

Thank you guys!

Sorry for double post. I didn't think it sent the first time. Current temp is 86

I hate coming home to aquarium night mares.

A few weeks ago,after a water change, I filled my African Clawed Frog tank too full and the next morning when I woke up, he was gone. I had to stay home from work to look for him, I mean, how could I function with Francis! Eventually found the little guy a few hours later in my kitchen all the way behind my stove. It was one of the last places I had checked. Covered in dust and cat hair, rinsed him off and he was fine.

Attachments

• image-3735670979.jpg
    image-3735670979.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 66
Haha! Thank goodness you found him! I don't know if I would have thought to move the stove!!

Tile is a poor substrate, it hurts their skin, I don't recommend it.
Lol

Back
Top Bottom