Emergency QT - Fast Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was in need of an emergency quarantine tank, so I picked up one of the Aqueon 10g kits for $40. I probably could have done better, but what's done is done.

TL;DR - Need to set up a QT real fast. Is properly refrigerated Bio-Spira in addition to established tank media worth a shot to jump start the cycle? Or should I also heavily plant it as well to keep the water quality up since the residents will be going in there very soon?

My question is, is it worth it to try out Bio-Spira along with filter media from an old tank to get it rolling ASAP. One local store carries it and has it properly refrigerated, so I was thinking I might try it to get things rolling since this tank is going to have some short to medium term residents on short notice.

Or I could go the route of setting it up like a normal tank, and heavily planting it (I have fluorite gravel that was left over), and using the media from another tank to avoid killing things with an ammonia spike. With existing fixtures I could push the tank to 2-2.5 WPG without spending any money. Daily water changes are going to be a must either way.

Figured I'd hop on here and get some opinions before I pull the trigger. I'd like to keep it going after the fish are better, since it looks quite nice where it's sitting, but that's definitely a tertiary concern behind 1) getting the fish better and 2) making sure their move into the QT won't kill them.

Thanks in advance!

if you are temperarily medicating fish from main tank then you could take media and filter(as much good bacteria)and some of the tanks water(since they are used to it and your gonna be medicating anyway) and pretty muchstart a established qt. at worst a mini cycle...i dont think you need extra bacteria if you add enough from the existing fishes' tank. is this right so far?

That sounds right, I'm pulling a sponge filter for the bacteria. I was just concerned that the sick fish might be so sensitive that I'd need to go overboard to keep things as safe as possible for them, and that Bio-Spira might be one way to do that, and heavy plants the other.

IMHO, daily water changes are a necessity when treating an ill fish. If this is being done, and in the case of an emergency, I wouldn't worry about cycling or transferring media. If it's sick, you don't want your filter media to be put back in your DT, and why risk going through a mini cycle in your DT when you're already doing daily water changes?

sounds good a sponge filter is cheap and decent for small tanks, and holds enough bio bacteria in the sponge to transfer into the qt. you should add some fresh water when you first set it up anyway ,so start meds and read directions, sometimes you need to do a partial water change after medicating for a day or two before you medicate again...and i wouldnt plant a qt, but a small breeder on the other hand...

I have a 2.5g hospital tank and a small 5g filter that I'd use with it in case of emergency. I was going to put that filter in my 10g tank so it would already be cycled. That way, if I get a sick fish, I could put some tank water in the 2.5g tank, put the already-cycled filter in with a heater I have for that tank, and then move the fish over.

I guess one thing I should be thinking about is what happens after the fish is either cured or dead. What can I or should I do that would allow me to put the 5g filter back in my 10g tank? Do I put those fish at risk of whatever problem the sick fish had by transferring the filter back over?

Back
Top Bottom