Emergency Water Change- Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
A family member spilled cleaning product in my betta tank, and I had to do a 100% water change and tank scrub. I saved the filter media, but now that the water is new and fresh how should I reacclimate my betta? Please help! Currently she is in a breeder tank in my guppy ten gallon and she's not looking too good! What should I do?

Move into a bag if you can and gradually add fresh tank water to bag as you would normally. Once acclimation is complete net and release. Don't let old water back into the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 float a bag and slowly add the tank water to the bag. I usually add a small amount (~50 mL) every 5 minutes over the period of about an hour, or until the PH is equal. Depends on the size of the bag though, bigger bag, more mL each time.
I float the bag for a while and then open it up and clip it to the side of the tank to add water.

I float the bag until temperature is equal ~30 min and THEN start adding water to keep stress at a minimum.

If the waters coming from the same tap in the same house you'll be fine, all the parameters even with fresh water should be nearly the same. Biggest thing is the water conditioner if needed (ie Prime) and match temps within 4 degrees Fahrenheit.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom