Empty 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have this empty 10G tank in my room. I was going to set it up as a small community tank but I've decided to keep shrimp instead. I was wondering how many shrimp I could safely put into a 10G tank? I would also like to put a Crowntail Betta in there as well, will this be safe with the shrimp? Any suggestions on keeping the shrimp or what shrimp I should get?

A betta mixed with shrimp wouldn't work. I had a friend who had a cherry shrimp in with his betta and the betta ate the shrimp within a few hours. The only reason you can keep fish, such as cories, with a betta is because they can out-swim the betta. Eventually the betta will become bored with chasing faster fish. But shrimp are slow.

Up to 10/G is typical in a shrimp only tank. More by experienced folks.

The Betta would eat them though as pointed out. You could easily go with less shrimp and add small tetras. Some shrimplets might be had, but if there are enough hiding spots they'll still proliferate.

I agree somewhat with what has been said, but I'll add my own experience too.

We had ghost shrimp in our 10g for months and then added a male betta. He actually left them alone. The platys were more aggressive towards them than he was. Sadly we had an ammonia spike and lost the shrimp.

We have plans to restock some shrimp eventually, but the male betta will be moved to a bowl for a few days while the shrimp adjust, and also so his sense of territory deminishes. After a few days, I'll do some changing around of plants and rocks, then put him back in. You might try that. We've found that except for 2 of the bettas we have, doing a little redecorating helps when adding something new to the tank. It offsets their sense of territory.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just hold off on the betta for now. I'll be setting up another 10G after my 75G is done. Are there any fish that would do well with shrimp?

In a ten gallon....4-5 guppies, platies or cories. Any combination of these as well. Possibly a female betta or two. My female betta is as sweet as can be.

Back
Top Bottom