Empty 225gallon -- Oscar tank vs. discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd go oscars. I think the puppy dog nature of oscars would be great and they're probably a ton easier to keep happy. I do love the way discus look and would love to have them, but I'd want someone else to monitor the water because I'd hate to lose a fish worth $100.

Get a oscar!! I have a tiger oscar and all he gets is hikari gold pellet food and 2 crickets once a month he has such bright colors there awesome there personalities are 1 of a kind. Oscar all the way!!

Get a oscar!! I have a tiger oscar and all he gets is hikari gold pellet food and 2 crickets once a month he has such bright colors there awesome there personalities are 1 of a kind. Oscar all the way!!
Not to go off topic too much but I would say that's not a healthy diet for you're oscar. They should be fed a ''VERY'' varied diet, mainly due to their great variety of foods in the wild. Add vegetables, maybe fruits, and other stuff such as krill or bloodworms. A poor unvaried diet can cause poor intestinal track and his growth and life span will suffer:3

If I had a tank large enough right now, I'd be having the same debate as you are OP! Only I'd add the idea of Flowerhorns into the mix. Kind of the best of both worlds, very colorful yet have a ton of personality!!

On the Discus/Oscar debate... It depends on what you're looking for honestly. Do you want a really bright and colorful fish with less bioload, or do you want something with personality but a poop machine.. Personally, I'd go for the discus. I absolutely LOVE oscars, love, love, love!! But, I love the different colors and patterns discus can have.

Not to go off topic too much but I would say that's not a healthy diet for you're oscar. They should be fed a ''VERY'' varied diet, mainly due to their great variety of foods in the wild. Add vegetables, maybe fruits, and other stuff such as krill or bloodworms. A poor unvaried diet can cause poor intestinal track and his growth and life span will suffer:3

Not true, I used to think the same until I read an article from New Life Spectrum that HUKIT put up - one of those game changing reads for me. I have 3 foods that do all my tanks, New Life Spectrum Pellets with Thera A, Community Flake and sinking wafers - once a week they get a treat like Bloodworm or Brine shrimp with Garlic. If I had the article I'd put it up, really good read. If you can find Hukit on here ask him for it.

Not true, I used to think the same until I read an article from New Life Spectrum that HUKIT put up - one of those game changing reads for me. I have 3 foods that do all my tanks, New Life Spectrum Pellets with Thera A, Community Flake and sinking wafers - once a week they get a treat like Bloodworm or Brine shrimp with Garlic. If I had the article I'd put it up, really good read. If you can find Hukit on here ask him for it.
I'm not saying its impossible, its mainly due to the variety of an oscars diet. You can feed pellets, but going beyond will greatly advantage him. Also, personally, I wouldn't feed flakes:3

This may be a stupid question but why can't you keep both together if you have such a large tank? Is the Oscar to aggressive for the discus?

Ya thats why. They are to aggresive for the discus.
I wouldn't say so. They are not too aggressive, they are too territorial. Discus will go all around the tank usually, and will invade the oscars territory witch will "piss" him off and he won't kill him, just "warn" him and chase him out. If he continues, he will eat him, lol.

I vote oscars... I love oscars they are so personible and friendly I'm currently trying to save up for a 75g for an oscar

This may be a stupid question but why can't you keep both together if you have such a large tank? Is the Oscar to aggressive for the discus?

Aggression but more importantly very different tank temperature requirements.

Back
Top Bottom