Empty, cycled 37 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have, as stated, an empty, cycled 37 gallon with baby mollies right now. I don't really want them so they will prob end up as feeders. The big Q is what to do with the empty tank. I hate to see it there, empty.
I was thinking of a cichlid maybe, something I could breed for fun and doesn't grow massive like an Oscar or jack.
Maybe:
Angels?
Kirbs? Never had them
Rams?

It's a rather tall tank...
It's 30"•12.5"•24"

Fish4bass8 said:
I have, as stated, an empty, cycled 37 gallon with baby mollies right now. I don't really want them so they will prob end up as feeders. The big Q is what to do with the empty tank. I hate to see it there, empty.
I was thinking of a cichlid maybe, something I could breed for fun and doesn't grow massive like an Oscar or jack.
Maybe:
Angels?
Kirbs? Never had them
Rams?

It's a rather tall tank...
It's 30"•12.5"•24"

Well you could a pair of Angels and a pair of Rams.

Fish4bass8 said:
Breeding pairs? Or 2 random angels and 2 rams?

Breeding pairs. And you could add other fish like Cories, a Pleco, and a few tetras.

vanimal said:
Breeding pairs. And you could add other fish like Cories, a Pleco, and a few tetras.

Can I buy 4-5 angels wait till they pair off then sell the others.
And do you think the 2 pairs(both being cichlids) would fight when they are protecting eggs? W/ out the length of a standard tank

Fish4bass8 said:
Can I buy 4-5 angels wait till they pair off then sell the others.
And do you think the 2 pairs(both being cichlids) would fight when they are protecting eggs? W/ out the length of a standard tank

Yeah I think that's the best way to do it. Do you have any pictures of the tank?

vanimal said:
Yeah I think that's the best way to do it. Do you have any pictures of the tank?

image-2335038463.jpg

image-435452574.jpg

Quite tall compared to a standard. I also have a 10-11 inch pleco in there but he is leaving soon

It should work but make sure the Rams have a log or cave to hide in and claim as their territory.

It should be fine as long as they have their own areas. They are tough fish and fighting should be minimal if proper hiding places are given. Heavily planted would help too.

vanimal said:
It should be fine as long as they have their own areas. They are tough fish and fighting should be minimal if proper hiding places are given. Heavily planted would help too.

Deal! Is it alrite if I leave it bare bottom?

Fish4bass8 said:
Also should I get bovilion rams or German blue? Those are the two my lfs sells.
Pros and cons of each?

I've never owned a Bolivian maybe someone else cal help you with that one. I think GBRs are better looking though.

vanimal said:
I've never owned a Bolivian maybe someone else cal help you with that one. I think GBRs are better looking though.

Yup! Just looked it up and gbrs are a lot more colorful! What's the difference between male and female?

Fish4bass8 said:
Yup! Just looked it up and gbrs are a lot more colorful! What's the difference between male and female?

Not sure. Maybe just get a few and then see if any pair up.

I would just like to throw out a word of caution. The active word here is *should* be ok. You could wind up.with a pair or angels that fight tooth and nail for.the.whole tank at breeding time. Secondly, what are your plans if you buy "a few of each" and.you can't find anywhere to sell or offload them? Better laid plans breed more desirable results

Pipedreamer86 said:
I would just like to throw out a word of caution. The active word here is *should* be ok. You could wind up.with a pair or angels that fight tooth and nail for.the.whole tank at breeding time. Secondly, what are your plans if you buy "a few of each" and.you can't find anywhere to sell or offload them? Better laid plans breed more desirable results

But like I said a cave for the Rams would give them a place to hide.

Back
Top Bottom