empty liquor bottle in fishtank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a jagermeister bottle (750 ml) that was "evacuated" last night with some friends. Recently, I've been looking at taking my cave out, and added more drift, and this bottle, to make it look like an actual river that people live near. (I don't trash lakes, but the tank would have that, "leave only footprints" mentality, ya know?) The jager bottle is green (in case you don't know) and I was also wondering if I put some tall grass to grow out of the bottle, would the tint keep the neccisary light from hitting the plants
(My lighting is t5, double bulb, both 10,000 k, the tank has been set up and running for some time now, and I check paremeters, and id assume my ph would do somthing if I didn't clean all the liquor tank)
Another hope is the grass in the bottle would make an excellent place for cherries to possibly breed, but I also understand the threat of deadspots in a bottle, and I may cut the bottom of the bottle smooth, and round the edges to counter that..
Any ideas/tthoughts

I know lots of people that do this. Fresh and sw. I would cut the bottom off to keep the flow. Just make sure you clean it real well. Then post pics so I can see it.

I don't know about Jager, but dark beer bottles are definately to inhibit light, which tends to diminish the brew. Not sure if Jager bottles are of the same type, though you could probably find out with a call.

I would definately cut the bottom out so it could experience some flow.

I know I'm usually a bit foggy after an evening of "evacuation". Hope everyone is well today.

The whole purpose of coloring bottles is to diminish light from penetrating into it and making the beer skunky.

You could use an ibc cream soda bottle. They're clear.

Lol thanks for the speedy responses, dudes :D the machine I was going to use to "round the edges" is at a buddies, but if I make a straight cut and. Not round edges would it harm the loaches if they crawled over it?
Note, to cut bottom, just stuff with gravel, and shake really hard downwards, and its perfect every time ;)

@tarpon, I really want the jeger bottle specifically though, because its delicous :D maybe no plants, unless angled correctly, but that's ok, its the bottle makin a old, lived near river effect I'm mainly geared towords. I may end up throwin another bottle, if the critters take a liking to it, because you can never have too many hiding spaces :)

Oh. Well according to the sam adams commercial green bottles don't block light as well as the brown

The neck of that bottle is awfully small. Aren't you worried about your loaches getting stuck in it?

hippy guy said:
Hmm well, ill do a test and find out for myself haha

Why no just drill a hole in the bottom and put an air line in it. The place in tank angled upwards so the air escapes. No water will get left in there and your tank will have airation also you could put some Java moss in there with small lava rocks so the moss will atatch

LyndaB said:
The neck of that bottle is awfully small. Aren't you worried about your loaches getting stuck in it?

Cap the top and cut a hole in the side and use a fine sand paper to make the edges smooth

I considered the airline, but my kuhlies are terrified of them lol. If plants will grow, I will put tall amazon grass and willow moss in there. The only thing I'm worried about gettin stuck is the vampire shrimp lol, but ill cross that bridge IF he's dumb enough to get stuck, I doubt he will though. The kuhlis are far too thin to become stuck...I'm probobly going to just take the bottom off, and sandpaper it smooth, to allow lots of water flow, and I could turn it upsidown and angle, like an underwater booze-vase :)
I'm breaking the bottom soon, the labels. Floated off the bottle in 5 min, and I'm pretty sure I rinsed it enough

I would sand the edges just in case. You could also cut the bottom off with the old bar trick. Fill bottle about a 1/4 full, then with the palm of your hand, hit the top. Clean break. Check it out on youtube. I know it works on beer bottles.

I have a rum bottle in one of my tanks. I don't have any idea about the plants, but I have doubts. I sanded the edges. Honestly, I do not know if it was necessary, but I would do it anyway since kuhlis are such active little burrows and they tend to "cuddle" against all the decor while they explore. I also have a tiny liquor bottle in my shrimp tank (one of those single shot bottles that are cheap).

I would sand the edges, even if just for your personal safety. You never know what's gonna happen when you're doing maintenance.

Just a quick thought. I know you have at least one planted tank, but if real plants don't work you could always put a fake one in. We have two shot sized liquor bottles in one of our tanks with no problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom