Empty nerite snail shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I only have 4 nerite snails left Out of 13 and all 4 are not moving. I just found one empty shell. I checked the back of the tank if some nerites got out but no luck. I have GBR, discus and tetras. Do GBRs eat snails? I'm getting concerned. Parameters are great... Any body with the same experience? What's going on?

I have heard of GBRs going after other bottom dwellers and shrimp. Wouldn't put it past them to go for an escargot snack...

I share in this frustration. The majority of nerites I've had have been short lived. I wonder how long they are supposed to live. Out of the 30ish I purchased about 6 months ago, I think I have 8 left.

I just found 2 more dead nerites. I don't know what happened to the rest. Can't even find empty shells to say that they are really dead. They just disappeared.

What's your Ph? I think low Ph can soften the shells, and that gets em. I'm not sure though.

pH is 6.3 but it's because of the CO2 and should not affect the snails. It's just frustrating. I love my nerites. Lol. I'm thinking of buying more nerites but I want to figure out what's wrong first.

come to think of it, i had a few nerites in with my rams and they have since turned up as empty shells. You might be on to something there.

I collected a group of about 50 nerites from a brackish area and put them directly into FW. Nearly all survived the trip and transition, and I since moved them throughout different tanks to get an idea of their longevity and behavior.

In the tanks with guppies, they are all doing fine. In the tank with the discus and angelfish, they are all still there and moving around just fine. In the tank with golden topminnows, they appear to be doing o.k., although a few have turned up empty. In the ram/black cory tank, the few that were in there are now empty, however I do see a large ramshorn in there from time to time, but they never have a real population boom.

And finally, in my native pygmy sunfish/least killifish/pygmy killifish tank, they seem to be thriving. The tank is heavily planted, and while I occasionally see eggs, they are short lived since the pygmy sunfish seem to relish them.

Thanks for the reply.

Can we assume that GBRs eat nerite snails? My nerites were doing great and just started noticing a diminished number a few weeks after I added the GBRs. Coincidence?

jetajockey said:
well it makes 2 of us so I think its possible. I'll put a few sacrificial lambs in there in a few minutes and i'll update you in a few days.

Thank you for doing that to find out if GBRs eat nerites (y)

I am kind of hoping that they do eat nerites and that there is nothing wrong in my tank that killed them.

jetajockey said:
well it makes 2 of us so I think its possible. I'll put a few sacrificial lambs in there in a few minutes and i'll update you in a few days.

Any update on the experiment?

it seems nerite snails do not like low ph or soft water. i have 4 nerites in my tank. the ph is about 6.6-6.8. water moderate. i have 2 gbr's and they don't seem to bother the snails but they love shrimp. so far snails are doing o.k. have had them for about 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom