Enclosed sand patch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jameson_uk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just about to start fishless cycling my 55g tank which is currently all gravel but I keep coming back to look at some corys....

I am planting a fair amount and like the look of the gravel so really want to keep it but would also like to put in some sand to make the corys happy :)

I have read lots of things about the issues keeping the sand and gravel separate and came up with the idea of effectively putting some sand inside a bowl. I haven't quite worked out the details yet but was thinking that rather than try and have two substrates sat on the bottom of the tank I could effectively put the sand in some kind of bowl. I was thinking something like a large petri-dish (or perhaps cut up a Tupperware container) to which I could glue pebbles around and effectively give me a removable sand patch.

My concern is that in doing so I am stopping flow under the sand. If I had 15mm of sand would / could this cause any problems? Would say a 120mm circular path of sand actually be worth it?

I don't think this will be a huge problem as it sounds like you can lift the container up every so often? It sounds a nice idea.

I've had fake rocks sit in place for months (although with plants) without too much trouble keeping the tank clean if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom