Encountering aquarium fish in the wild- Share!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Demonspawn...jk it's a small parasitic catfish species that will sometimes jump up a pee stream and into a certain area. They live in South America

Oh yes now I remember. Evil creature. Yes that would be an exception. They are evil. Lol

If you got a crayfish that has survived even a month with a 8" large mouth bass in the same tank, that cray deserves a medal of Honor!

He does deserve a Medal of Honor. Sadly cas I got worried with him with the bass I moved him with my bichirs tank. This morning I woke up and he was torn to pieces and inside the bichir stomach

Demonspawn...jk it's a small parasitic catfish species that will sometimes jump up a pee stream and into a certain area. They live in South America

I saw that on 1000 ways to die. Never peed in a lake since then!

Up until about mid to late November I can still catch them. Then it gets to cold for me haha

Around here if you have tackle for fish out of season on you, you can get fined. It's there where of maintaining population I guess.

I am visiting my parents in Florida and me and my fiance took kayaks out onto the peace river. I saw a dead pleco, pretty sure it was a common, might have been a sailfin. It was about 10-14" long and bloated. I went on the interweb and found that there is midas, oscars, jags, hoplo cats, plecos,piranha, clown knife, and a few other nonative fish in the peace riv. Sad.

Oh I only do catch and release

Doesn't matter here which sucks. If the MNR see your tackle is for a targeted fish out of season you get a fine. I never new this until last year when I started looking up the regulations changes. So basically if pike are out of season and you have a 7inch jointed minnow they can fine you.

Its not very fair in my eyes. Why should I have to remove basically all my tackle when one fish is out of season. I'm not going to try and catch the fish.

I was talking to a MNR wardant an he said it is to stop interference with breeding patterns of fish. Say for instance your fish are spawning and you pull them out and put them back are they going to spawn again right away?

I have also pulled a little rockbass out of the ausable here in town, I went to remove the hook and noticed his mouth was full of eggs! Pretty crazy! I don't think they were his eggs seeing as fish normally don't eat when they are holding. But still crazy!

Very few fish truly go dormant, and most coldwater species don't even slow their metabolism in the winter time. They hang out in deep pools and swim as little as possible to conserve energy, but they are not dormant. If they went dormant, you wouldn't catch any fish ice fishing.

The colder the water gets the more the internal organs of fish slow down until it almost seems like they are constantly sleeping. Barely moving to do more than eat. I can't personally think of a word more fitting than "dormant" for when that happens.

As to keeping sport fish: in most places you can only legally keep them while the fish are in season to catch. Outside of that you can get large fines. You also need a fishing license to keep them as well. Lastly, you aren't allowed to transport water from the lake to other places which causes some issues with keeping fish alive.

As to keeping sport fish: in most places you can only legally keep them while the fish are in season to catch. Outside of that you can get large fines. You also need a fishing license to keep them as well. Lastly, you aren't allowed to transport water from the lake to other places which causes some issues with keeping fish alive.

What if you have a minnow rainbow or a little chub? Here you are aloud to use them as bait. So if I catch a bunch in my minnow trap I can put my minnow pale in the river take the water back home. No problem. I can then take those fish back and use them as bait and dump the water in. You cannot use the fish as bait in a different body of water though. And there is a list of certain bait fish aloud in certain areas. But I've never heard anything about the water part. Do you live in Canada?

What if you have a minnow rainbow or a little chub? Here you are aloud to use them as bait. So if I catch a bunch in my minnow trap I can put my minnow pale in the river take the water back home. No problem. I can then take those fish back and use them as bait and dump the water in. You cannot use the fish as bait in a different body of water though. And there is a list of certain bait fish aloud in certain areas. But I've never heard anything about the water part. Do you live in Canada?

Michigan. There's an issue with a virus whose name escapes me at the moment that we are working to control here. I would assume its similar in quite a few different states as well.

Edit:
Just looked it up: Viral hemorrhagic septicemia

Back
Top Bottom