Encountering aquarium fish in the wild- Share!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trinifella

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought it would be cool to share that I saw the most amazing thing last week for the first time in my life. My friend for some years saw my pair of dwarf gouramis in my tank and told me he doesn't understand how I could keep those in my house, since they've pretty much invaded the area in which he lives. I couldn't believe it since I have been around many rivers and ponds down here (Trinidad and Tobago) and have never seen any domestic fishes really, other than wild guppies. We went to a littler shallow swamp behind his house, he threw his net, pulled it up, and :eek:!!! Hundreds of Blue/Three-spot gouramis. I could not believe it u guys. Some were plain, and some has reddish fins.

I would love to hear what type of freshwater aquarium fish u guys have come across, and how mind-blowing it was to u as well

Living in michigan I don't come across any aquarium fish, however I've been toying with the idea of a bluegill tank for a few months now.

I forgot to mention that he told me when he was smaller growing up, they were never there, and it wasn't till about 10 years ago a guy had about 8 living in his tank, which burst and ended up in his pond. Cascadura fish has now given way to Blue Gouramis in nearly ever pond in his area

Someone pulled a 10 inch Gold fish from the Big Sandy river near me. He was fishing and caught it. Goldfish must be tough. That river is not in the best of ways with all the trash and other pollution.

My friend caught a 13" koi in Christina lake BC, which freezes over in the winter.

We have common pleco in a few creeks around where i live in ne ohio. I was was so surprised when i caught a few. On closer inspection i noticed there were hundreds! Somebody must have released some pets.

I was feeding some baby carp in the river at my cottage and this huge carp came out of no ware and started eating bread from my hand. They almost look like Cory catfish which I think is pretty funny but I don't think you can find Cory catfish in Canada. All the catfish come out at night so that's the time to go out and start searching. I did see several bushy nose Plecos nothing special they were all common no albino ones. The river my cottage is at is called the Trent river, it's huge I think it should be called Trent lake.

I was feeding some baby carp in the river at my cottage and this huge carp came out of no ware and started eating bread from my hand. They almost look like Cory catfish which I think is pretty funny but I don't think you can find Cory catfish in Canada. All the catfish come out at night so that's the time to go out and start searching. I did see several bushy nose Plecos nothing special they were all common no albino ones. The river my cottage is at is called the Trent river, it's huge I think it should be called Trent lake.

Bushy nose plecos in Canada? No way. They would never survive the winter. I have never seen any aquarium fish in the wild lol but that's because I live in Maryland. It would be awesome to go to the amazon and try and catch some plecos though :)

Carniflex where in NE Ohio did you find them. I spent the first 27 years of my life living in Cuyahoga Falls. I would love to try to find some just for funzies when I go home this summer for a visit.!

I saw swordfish or mollies in florida. I thought they were pretty to but some would probably say plain. Lol

Living in South Florida, it was like living in an aquarium. Oscars became common in most canals. Pacu and an occasional Piranha have been caught on hook and line. Green mollies are native. There has been so many releases of fish that there are colonies of different types of cichlids all over the place. I used to catch Africans when I was trying to catch Largemouth Bass. I have also seen large Kissing Gouramis in canals. "It's all good... until somebody gets hurt." Our natural fauna has paid a high price with all these "intruders". I've been in FL for now 40 years this year and I've seen the change first hand. It's not good. :( So let's not celebrate seeing these things outside their native areas. let's start collecting them and getting rid of them to restore native fish populations. Start getting a lot of tanks cause there's a lot of fish that need to be removed ;) Just my 2 cents.

On the other hand, I was privileged to be in Belize a number of years ago and saw Firemouth Meekis in their native waters. That was interesting. It was almost a commune of spawning beds. When I was in Brasil, we fished for and caught Pacu and some Geophagus to eat but I also saw some Tetras and other smaller fish (which I'm sure made it into the aquarium trade) in a small pond we were hiking around. It was an experience (y)

Bushy nose plecos in Canada? No way. They would never survive the winter. I have never seen any aquarium fish in the wild lol but that's because I live in Maryland. It would be awesome to go to the amazon and try and catch some plecos though :)

It's not that cold during the winter in the part of Canada that I live in. It only gets at most -10 but you have to remember there wild so there use to colder temperatures unlike the aquarium plecos. The ones I saw were just common bushy nose plecos. They were not catfish they had a sucker mouth and bristles on there face. I brought back a weird apple snail from my cottage and it's in my aquarium right now. If you want I can post a photo of it.

It's not that cold during the winter in the part of Canada that I live in. It only gets at most -10 but you have to remember there wild so there use to colder temperatures unlike the aquarium plecos. The ones I saw were just common bushy nose plecos. They were not catfish they had a sucker mouth and bristles on there face. I brought back a weird apple snail from my cottage and it's in my aquarium right now. If you want I can post a photo of it.

I would like to see the snail

I've heard there are Goldfish living in the clyde in Glasgow... I don't know if this is an urban myth or not though :lol:

No I'm saying bushy nose plecos of the ancistrua genus are not native to Canada and this had to be introduced via someone who released it. Therefore it was an aquarium species an would die at temps below 70 degrees. It was probably another fish that looks like a pleco. All plecos are native to South America.

No I'm saying bushy nose plecos of the ancistrua genus are not native to Canada and this had to be introduced via someone who released it. Therefore it was an aquarium species an would die at temps below 70 degrees. It was probably another fish that looks like a pleco. All plecos are native to South America.

I'm canadian and you would be surprised on what gets introduced and survives up here...

I'm canadian and you would be surprised on what gets introduced and survives up here...

I'd just be insanely surprised that a South American pleco species can survive -10 degree winters and become common to see.

Back
Top Bottom