Epsom salt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishaFishay

Aquarium Advice Regular
How many and how often can i bathe my female betta in epsom salt . I already did 1 about 2 days ago .She's bloated thats why .

Sent from my SM-G925P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Done properly a bath /dip can be done daily at least.
Possibly a lower then bath/dip dose could be applied to main tank?
Have you tried to feed peas?

The tank has live plants so that would be a no no hehe. I yet have to get peas from the market ill do it soon ! Thx for the advice.

Live plants are in no way a reason to not dose Epsom salt. It actually has magnesium and sulfur which plants need. I add .6 grams weekly into a 20 gal and have no issues

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

What do you feed her?
Plenty of high protein or really meaty foods.
Betta are insectivorous fish and should be fed accordingly. Blood worm black mosquito larvae etc etc. they will eat green but only if they're starving!

The tank has live plants so that would be a no no hehe. I yet have to get peas from the market ill do it soon ! Thx for the advice.

As a Gardner you use Epsom salt on the plants for various things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Opps sorry i thought the same rule applies with aquarium salt . I feed her Tetra Color + and freeze dried bloodworms . My tank is a 5.5 us gal how much epsom can i add to that ?

I'd get something other than Tetra personally. Hikari betta bites are good. New Life Spectrum makes a betta food also. As far as blood worms if they are freeze dried I would soak them before giving to the fish. I have heard accounts of freeze dried expanding in some fish stomachs at times. Not sure about how much Epsom for your tank. Never had to use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

For bloat 1/2 teaspoon for 5 gallons.
2-3 days should yield results.
If not add another 1/2 teaspoon.
3 more days and then start to change water to remove the Epsom salt.
Salt will only be removed by plants or water changes so be extra on waterchanges after final treatment.

Hope this helps your betta.

Thanks for the replys . I use tetra mostly because its a popular brand but i also used omega for a while . What if there are other fish in the tank ? I have 2 small guppies in there with the betta and they've never fought.

As in would the salt affect the guppies ?

The guppies will be fine!(y)

Like many other livebearers they actually prefer 'harder ' water which is basically the other effect of Epsom.
It raises the GH(hardness).

Back
Top Bottom