established tank with green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmwag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have an established 55 gallon tank that has suddenly developed a greenish cloudy water about a month ago. I have been doing water changes with not so much success. I don't seem to have algae as far as seeing it on the glass or ornaments, just the water color is awful. I have an aqua clear filter and not sure if it just isn't filtering correctly anymore or what the problem can be. I'm considering buying a Fluval c series filter and thought I would check in with people that are more experienced with this for any and all suggestions. Thanks for any help/suggestions on this.

Consider a uv sterlizer. I had a similar issue with my 30l, i added a sunsun cannister with built in uv and it cleared up overnight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I second the UV! Also turn up the aeration for a week or two... the 'steralized' algae can cause a drop in the oxygen levels.

I second the UV! Also turn up the aeration for a week or two... the 'steralized' algae can cause a drop in the oxygen levels.

That's a new one for me, care to elaborate on that theory?

Same thing happened to me three times so I went out and bought a UV sterilizer and put it in and never happened again. I bought the in tank one that you stick to the glass. Little bulky but worked for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a new one for me, care to elaborate on that theory?

The excess oxygen that was created by the algae is used up by bacteria that work to decompose the dead algae resulting in depleted levels of oxygen for the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Water with any large amount of algae and higher nutrient levels will have lower O2 levels, it's not just your "sterilized" algae. http://biosurvey.ou.edu/oas/03/paper/steen.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I understand the concept of rotting organics creating a low oxygen environment.. just never heard of spent algae having the same effect.. i think one of the coolest things I've ever heard is what happens when ice melts on a lake or river!! Science!

I understand the concept of rotting organics creating a low oxygen environment.. just never heard of spent algae having the same effect.. i think one of the coolest things I've ever heard is what happens when ice melts on a lake or river!! Science!

I'm intrigued, what have you heard?

Maybe I'm missing the biology lesson. If I put a UV on my 75g planted would that help clear my algae?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm intrigued, what have you heard?

Crap, i used to be a marine biologist but beer pong robbed me of that education.. good piece on npr the other day describing how everything on the bottom of the Charles River is dormant or dead right now. When the ice melts all the oxygen rich water (colder) falls to the bottom which stimulates regeneration while expelling extra nasty organics. Nothing too spectacular.. interesting all the same..

Maybe I'm missing the biology lesson. If I put a UV on my 75g planted would that help clear my algae?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

UV will kill any free floating algae spores that pass through it given the flow is correct.

Crap, i used to be a marine biologist but beer pong robbed me of that education.. good piece on npr the other day describing how everything on the bottom of the Charles River is dormant or dead right now. When the ice melts all the oxygen rich water (colder) falls to the bottom which stimulates regeneration while expelling extra nasty organics. Nothing too spectacular.. interesting all the same..

Hmm, interesting haha.

Maybe time to look at Amazon. I'm dosing ferts, water changes, still getting some green and a little brown.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Maybe time to look at Amazon. I'm dosing ferts, water changes, still getting some green and a little brown.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Or adjust your photoperiod and fertilizer schedule. UV won't get everything, it'll just kill what flows through it. I believe that when used as a clarifier it helps against massive algae blooms and green water, but it's kind of a bandaid on the issue. It'd be the same theory as spot treating with Excel or H2O2, it'll kill the algae but won't get to the root of the problem.

If you want to go more expensive with it, it can improve fish health by improving redox and killing bacteria and viruses in level 1 sterilization and level 2 sterilization can kill single cell parasites.

It all depends on the flow rate and dwell time though. For mine I went level 2 but I had to buy a whole separate canister as well as a UV sterilizer to get the flow and dwell time correct. The UV built into canisters or filters are okay for clarification but not for sterilization.

Back
Top Bottom