Evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have hard water and when doing weekly water changes I use tap water that is "softened" by a water softener. I understand that the water from my tap is not really softer, the calcium ions have been exchanged for sodium ions. During the winter months the tank evaporates as much as an inch per week. Even with the water changes there has to be a build up of minerals in the water. My fish are fine and I do not see any signs of stress, but should I add some RO or distilled water to the tank to lower the hardness? How do other handle this?

I have well water and have kept many different type of fish. I don't worry about hardness what so ever a matter a fact I've never even tested for it. I've never had any problems so ya. If your not having problems with anything then its best to leave it alone. Because then your changing your ph and everything that you'll have to match which makes everything Parker surfing water changes

Thanks for the help. I have had the same tank set up and running for at least 4-5 years. I have never messed with the water except for weekly water changes. I have not have had trouble with my fish. They all seem healthy. I give most of my credit to my fish for being hardy breeds. I would not purchase any fish that need very specific tolerances to water conditions. I just wanted to avoid a future problem.

Thanks for the help. I have had the same tank set up and running for at least 4-5 years. I have never messed with the water except for weekly water changes. I have not have had trouble with my fish. They all seem healthy. I give most of my credit to my fish for being hardy breeds. I would not purchase any fish that need very specific tolerances to water conditions. I just wanted to avoid a future problem.

You'll be ok

Back
Top Bottom