Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Everyone's favorite question

So I just got my shipment of fish in from Bluegrass Aquatics, the fish look great and were packaged perfectly, I'm very impressed. Unfortunately the guy they get festivums from was out so I didn't get my five festivums. This does free up quite a bit of space in my tank though and now I'm looking at possibilities. I received: 2 boesemani rainbows, 5 rosy barbs, and 6 Congo tetras. In my main tank is a green severum, Senegal bichir, and 3 boesemani rainbows.

Main tank is 150 gallons.

I was looking at keeping the Congo tetras in my empty 45 gallon and adding a jack Dempsey to the 150, but the more I look at them the less I like them. So what are some tank mates you can think of? Either with all of the listed fish in the 150, or with keeping the Congo tetras in the 45.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With rainbows being schooling fish, I would crank up their number to 6 at the minimum, but I would probably go with as many as 10

Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah there were supposed to be more. If you had seen my posts about a month ago where the rainbows were sent to me with ich and internal parasites. I had 11...now 3 of the originals remain. Definitely was looking into adding some more, just debating between more boesemani or something else like the turquoise.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would do a Severum and Nicaraguan tank. Use the rainbows and barbs as dithers. you have allot of room to work with.

Other wise bump the the fish you have up to large schools.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
I would do a Severum and Nicaraguan tank. Use the rainbows and barbs as dithers. you have allot of room to work with.

Other wise bump the the fish you have up to large schools.

I was looking at a Nicaraguan awhile back when originally stocking this tank but the pH requirements are different than the other fish. Granted, if it's born in captivity I'm sure acclimating them to my pH wouldn't be a substantial issue, but made me a little nervous with them. What do you all think about threadfin acara? Do they need to be in groups or can they be kept solo?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK8485 View Post
I was looking at a Nicaraguan awhile back when originally stocking this tank but the pH requirements are different than the other fish. Granted, if it's born in captivity I'm sure acclimating them to my pH wouldn't be a substantial issue, but made me a little nervous with them. What do you all think about threadfin acara? Do they need to be in groups or can they be kept solo?

If you have drinkable tap water then PH is non issue unless buy wild caught fish. Fluctuating PH is more dangerous than a constant PH thank what the wild perimeters call for. sorry dont know much about the acara.

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com