Evil Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Dwarf Gourami who is biting at my smaller Blue gourami's caudal, any suggestions on why he is doing this? Could it just be because it wants to be the only gourami in the tank or something of that nature?
I am considering bringing it back to the LFS if I can't find a solution.

hi RoK! Welcome to AA :wave:

What size tank are these gouramis in and are there any other inhabitants. Gouramis can be quite territorial, so this can definitly be a dominanc thing.

ok, I would definitly say with that many inhabitants in a 20, there may only be room for one of them to establish their territory.

I was thinking that, I think I am going to take him back or see if I can give him to someone who has the room. Thanks. :)

I have had problems with gouramis before as you can see I have many. My blue in the 75 gal went crazy when I added an opaline to the tank and started biting at almost every fish. (This was when it was the only Trichogaster trichopterus in the tank) I then added a gold and it stopped and became completely peaceful, strange fishies but I love em. :p

yes, definitly hard to predict how a gourami8 will act around others....but I, too, am in love with them!

Well, I had to move him to the large tank because I didn't have time to take him anywhere and I couldn't stand to see my little blue being picked at so much. I hope he does ok in the 75 gal, wish him luck he's one of the smallest in there. :? If all goes well, I will be keeping him. :)

I also have a gourmia that is positeivly evil. He could beat up a tank Full Of Melanochromis Aurcuts cichlids. He is in solitary confinement for the time being. You could put your gourmia in your 10 alone once iit finished cyling Rok?

JMHO

Yeah, I could but the pH in the 10 gal is a little high in it, I don't really know why though. Could it be because there are no fish in it? Would it be a good idea to put the Danios in the 10?
The dwarf gourami seems to be doing fine in the 75. 8)

Bump..
Can someone please answer my last post? Help appreciated, thx in advance.

What's a little high pH? If it's 7.5 max, then you could put your blue in there. Just make sure to acclimatize him properly. Is this blue gourami a colisa lalia? If it is, then the blue gourami is a 'mutant' of the original specie and should have little problem being acclimatized to a higher pH. If it were wild caught it would need low pH. I'm not too knowledgable about gouramis yet, but the 'original' colisa lalia is red and blue with vertical stripes across the body. The blue and red species were produced by selective breeding of the original.
HTH!

Hm, why are you calling it a blue gourami, anywhere I look they call it a Dwarf Gourami. Anyway, yes it is the Colisa lalia.
I use jungle test strips for testing pH but I also have a wardley junior pH test kit. Neither seem to be exact. I haven't really found any .1 accurate pH testers.

Try Aquaruikm Pharmacuticals Test Tube Test Kit. It is a little harder but very accurate! You can bring don your ph by adding peat to the filter.

JMHO

In your first post you talk about your dwarf gourami biting your blue gourami. I was reffering to that. I didn't read it too well and thought it was the blue gourami that was aggresive, sorry, my mistake. What specie is the blue gourami then? I don't know of any blue gouramis apart from the selectively bred colisa lalia. I'm not saying that it is that fish, I just don't know another blue gourami, blame it on my lack of knowledge. :wink:

Well, the blue, gold, and opaline are also called the 3-Spot Gourami. Trichogaster trichopterus

Back
Top Bottom