Executing your fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish arnt warm blooded like people. They are cold blooded it's not the same as us. They don't get hypothermia thats silly.
If ya want it real quick just jump on him.... Smash nothing quicker then that

Josh1158 said:
Fish arnt warm blooded like people. They are cold blooded it's not the same as us. They don't get hypothermia thats silly.
If ya want it real quick just jump on him.... Smash nothing quicker then that

Hypothermia in its shortest definition is defined as an abnormally low body temperature. Any animal can have that. Warm or cold blooded. It's silly to believe they couldn't. But I agree with the smash part.

Temperature Shock, Freezing

100% humane, and the best way to go when euthanizing tropical fish.

"The method is simple. Freeze a bowl of water until it has ice chunks in it, but is not solid in any way. Net the fish out of your tank and into the bowl. The difference in water temperature will cause an instant and fatalshock to the internal organs and nervous system of the fish. Sound harsh, but the deed is done painlessly and instantly. Make sure that the water is frozen sufficiently for this to be humane. Being impatient and dropping the fish in very cold, but not half frozen water, will only torture it."

Quoted from the article posted early in this thread that nobody seems to have read. Do the clove oil before and you're set.

paytertot said:
Temperature Shock, Freezing

100% humane, and the best way to go when euthanizing tropical fish.

"The method is simple. Freeze a bowl of water until it has ice chunks in it, but is not solid in any way. Net the fish out of your tank and into the bowl. The difference in water temperature will cause an instant and fatalshock to the internal organs and nervous system of the fish. Sound harsh, but the deed is done painlessly and instantly. Make sure that the water is frozen sufficiently for this to be humane. Being impatient and dropping the fish in very cold, but not half frozen water, will only torture it."

Quoted from the article posted early in this thread that nobody seems to have read. Do the clove oil before and you're set.

I Read the article. The disclaimer at the bottom of the article also says it was researched and written by the author. Who's to say her results are definitive? Does her research have a way to measure pain? Or the moment the fish dies? I don't think they have internal monitors for fish of tank size so personally I won't take her word for it. No offense meant but I'm not a big believer in being able to tell if something's in pain or dead if it's unable to tell u itself. Bc it's dead we would never know what it went through. At least if you do a quick chop of the head in the correct place there's no pain bc the body is seperated from the brain and we know there's no pain involved in that because we know paralyzed people do not feel in their immobilized limbs. All in all tho putting something to sleep or decapitation are the best bets I think. Just mo.

I Read the article. The disclaimer at the bottom of the article also says it was researched and written by the author. Who's to say her results are definitive? Does her research have a way to measure pain? Or the moment the fish dies? I don't think they have internal monitors for fish of tank size so personally I won't take her word for it. No offense meant but I'm not a big believer in being able to tell if something's in pain or dead if it's unable to tell u itself. Bc it's dead we would never know what it went through. At least if you do a quick chop of the head in the correct place there's no pain bc the body is seperated from the brain and we know there's no pain involved in that because we know paralyzed people do not feel in their immobilized limbs. All in all tho putting something to sleep or decapitation are the best bets I think. Just mo.
Just for some additional info, yes there have been studies done on this. They put nerve sensors on the fish to measure nerve impulses when freezing them. Also, when fish are just put in the freezer, they will flop around, but when the freezing water method is done, there is not flopping. I do agree that decapitation is a valid method, but not everybody has the guts to decapitate their pet. I also agree that the clove oil "putting to sleep" method works. I am just giving some extra info about the freezing to show its validity as well.

At least if you do a quick chop of the head in the correct place there's no pain bc the body is seperated from the brain and we know there's no pain involved in that because we know paralyzed people do not feel in their immobilized limbs. All in all tho putting something to sleep or decapitation are the best bets I think. Just mo.

...I take it you never heard about how they got lip readers to watch decapitations back in the old days. The head lives for 8 seconds after decapitation, and during that time the people were often either trying to scream or saying how much it hurt. It is not painless.

I'm sure the studies are in depth but the argument for me is the same. No one knows in that instant of death what someone does or doesn't feel. It could be very well that there is no pain. But once again. Who knows.

Luananeko said:
...I take it you never heard about how they got lip readers to watch decapitations back in the old days. The head lives for 8 seconds after decapitation, and during that time the people were often either trying to scream or saying how much it hurt. It is not painless.

I'm sure the old days were very unbiased when they were trying to deter future criminals. Lies were told in many ways to keep people in line. Who knows what was actually said if anything intelligent at all. Best we know is from completely paralyzed people and id take that over medieval lip readers anyday.

I'm sure the old days were very unbiased when they were trying to deter future criminals. Lies were told in many ways to keep people in line. Who knows what was actually said if anything intelligent at all. Best we know is from completely paralyzed people and id take that over medieval lip readers anyday.

Paralysis is much different from severing a limb. Last I checked it still hurts when a limb is cut off... Otherwise why would they use anesthesia for amputations?

Last I checked your spinal cord isn't separated from your brain during amputation either but it is for a paralyzed person and a decapitated person.

Yeah the garbage disposal thing wouldn't work unless the fish was small enough to get chopped up by it, a larger fish would bounce around on top of it.
The clove oil thing is good if you have it on hand, but most people don't. A salted ice water bath is the next best thing, the fish goes to sleep instantly and dies after a few minutes, and everyone has a freezer and salt in their house.

I just read somewhere that you can buy stuff at the pharmacy for toothaches that has clove oil in it. Some people use that.

i had to do the same thing to one of my platys i used to have i used boinling water it kills them instantly.

Back
Top Bottom