Expanding my 55's stock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sadly last week I lost one of my dwarf gouramis. Now I would like to add something to replace him. Do you guys think I could add something. I'm thinking perhaps an appistograma or a krib, but I am very open to suggestions.

My current stock is
5 lemon tetras
1 leopard ctenopoma
4 boesmani raibows
1 trifaschiata rainbow
2 bn plecos
2 German blue rams
8 black skirt tetras

According to aquadvisor that's 104%, with a krib its 109%, and with a apisto its 109% as well.

What do you guys think can and what should I add?
Thanks in advance!

I would consider trading the bristle nose plecos in for a more attractive strain or species. My favorites are the calico, blue eye, albino longfin, rubbernose and if you have a lot of money the zebra pleco is great.

I dont know that i would add Kribensis they are also bottom dwelling fish like the two german blue rams. I would echo a previous post and go for either another couple German blue rams or a couple Bolivian rams or looking at your stocking list i might would add more lemon tetras they would look great in larger numbers.

How long have you had the leopard ctenopoma? They can grow over 6" and they are a predatorial fish. They WILL eat the tetras if they grow large enough. They have a very cool way of opening there mouth HUGE and sucking the prey in. I would not get a krib, they are an African cichlid and COULD destroy everything in your tank overnight. It's not guaranteed but I wouldn't chance it. You could try a couple smaller cichlids like a festivum, and keyhole. Or a few more rainbows. Or even a school of striatia botia.

How long have you had the leopard ctenopoma? They can grow over 6" and they are a predatorial fish. They WILL eat the tetras if they grow large enough. They have a very cool way of opening there mouth HUGE and sucking the prey in. I would not get a krib, they are an African cichlid and COULD destroy everything in your tank overnight. It's not guaranteed but I wouldn't chance it. You could try a couple smaller cichlids like a festivum, and keyhole. Or a few more rainbows. Or even a school of striatia botia.

I've had the ctenopoma for 6 months now he's still rather small but I know that he will get larger much larger. I actually have a one lonely neon in there now and my ctenopoma hasnt touched it and he's over 2 inches long. So I guess I'm hoping for a nice friendly ctenopoma. I kinda like the idea of adding a festivum though. But I'm thinking that it will be too much of an addition.

I would definitely NOT add more rams. or any other dwarf cichlid. I have two pair of German Blue Rams in a 75 and I am having a heck of a time with fighting. My tank is way under stocked. I may have to remove a GBR pair soon.

Your tank sounds very full. I think if you add more dwarf cichlids you are going to upset what you have going and you will be regretting it. My advice is be happy with what you have. If you want more fish start another tank.

I disagree with Rivers2k saying your tank being very overstocked. You have 13 small tetras, that have very low bioloads. Also, rams have small bioloads for there size even when they are full grown. I say you could have 5 more small fish, or a couple medium sized, as long as you have good filtration and do 50% weekly water changes.

I disagree with Rivers2k saying your tank being very overstocked. You have 13 small tetras, that have very low bioloads. Also, rams have small bioloads for there size even when they are full grown. I say you could have 5 more small fish, or a couple medium sized, as long as you have good filtration and do 50% weekly water changes.

I was thinking more than Bio loads. The tetras are small yes but those 5 rainbows are going to get large enough to take up the 55 by themselves if given the room. They are all going to get about 5-6" and are active swimmers.

The GBR territory will take up most of the 55 so introducing kribs is just asking for a war in an already established peaceful tank. Sounds like he already has a nice set up I would leave it as is.

I have 2- 55g tanks and honestly with already having 5 rainbows, 8 black skirt tetras which mine in adult size are usually 2-1/2 to 3 inches, 5 lemon tetras, 2 bnp's, and a pair of rams, then the leopard ctenopoma IMO is a fully stocked tank. When stocking a tank you have to take into consideration the adult size of the fish. Sure you can always put more fish in and over stock but is that really fair to the fish. I'm a firm believer in giving fish some space which I also believe lowers stress and makes for a healthier tank. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on stocking amounts but IMO it's better to under stock than over stock a tank regardless of how meticulous a person is about maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom