Expecting power outage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, my city is going to get hit with a huge storm tomorrow and they're expecting power outages. What can I do to keep my tanks stable and functioning? I have 2 20 gallons with filters, heaters and air stones.

Checkout the king of diy on you tube, he has some nice tricks to keep everyone alive and comfy. Generator is my answer but I realize it's not practical for everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you know that power won't be available for a long period of time I recommend buying a battery with power outlets to keep the heaters and filters running. You should be able to get something like this at Home Depot, Best Buy, or Walmart. Not sure about cost but I would expect around $50 depending on the amount of power you need.

+1 on King of DIY. Very useful and fun to watch guy. Here is the link:

I have looked into buying battery packs, but you can run into issues with DC vs AC current, so I decided against it. You best bet is to buy a battery powered air pump at PetCo, and hand warmers. Put the hand warmers on the bottom of the glass, or in a tupperware container and float it. You can also take it a step further and put all of your filter media in the tank on top of your airstone to keep the BB alive if it is an extended period of time.

Hi, my city is going to get hit with a huge storm tomorrow and they're expecting power outages.

Lol another east coaster freaking out too huh?

I've been told that using those hand warmers and keeping the tank cover with a quilt or blankets can help hold the heat in, someone last year had a post about losing electric for a couple days and how they faired.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just gassed and tuned up the old gennyyy:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With all the strong winds lately [60 + gust] and it being March not October[leaves off most trees] I, being predicted to get 12-18 inches don't think power outages are going to be as big an issue as many.
Just seems like common sense that this is NOT the same scenarios that play out October/early November ?
That being said with 1,000+ gallons I also like Brook own a generator....:cool:
With a power outage IMO [again with 1,000g+] temperature is most important.Media will be fine days if kept wet Unless you are a canister user in which case open it up or you will kill it over an extended period of time ,but this is an O2 issue IMO not the need to "feed" the bacteria...:whistle:
Never owned a battery powered air pump in my life....IMO if the room is not heated you are just pushing COLD air through the tank you struggle to keep warm?:facepalm:

Lol another east coaster freaking out too huh?

I've been told that using those hand warmers and keeping the tank cover with a quilt or blankets can help hold the heat in, someone last year had a post about losing electric for a couple days and how they faired.

I will look into that! Thanks you so much

How are you holding up?

How are you holding up?

Lots of snow but no power outages yet! Thank goodness. Thanks for checking in!

Lol no problem, we made out the same

Back
Top Bottom